Final Score: VCU 13, George Mason 12
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU (7-9, 4-5 A-10), George Mason (11-6, 7-2 A-10)
The Short Story: In a back-and-forth battle, VCU stopped a late George Mason rally as Clare Murphy scored the game-winning goal with 1:33 remaining and VCU clinched a berth in the Atlantic 10 Championship.
- 15 seniors were honored by the program in a pregame ceremony.
- Molly Barcikowski scored a game-high five goals along with two assists and two ground balls.
- Clare Murphy and Ryann Shaughnessy each had two goals and an assist.
- Sky Hyatt scored once and had a team-high three assists.
- Keriann McTavish, Jessica del Rossi and Savannah Slack each scored once.
- VCU outshot the Patriots 42-24 overall and 30-21 in shots on goal.
- The Rams were just 1-of-8 on free position shots while George Mason was 2-of-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hyatt opened the scoring just 1:16 into game action but George Mason scored twice to take a 2-1 lead with 25:16 remaining in the first half.
- VCU scored three of the next four goals to retake the lead at 4-3 with 17:25 left before halftime.
- The lead changed hands two more times in the first half but the Rams scored three of the final four goals to lead 7-6 at the break.
- The Rams scored twice to open the second half and pushed their lead to 9-6 with 22:20 left.
- Mason again responded by scoring three of the following four goals and cut the VCU lead to just 10-9 with 15:08 remaining.
- After the Rams built another three-goal advantage at 12-9, Mason tied the game at 12-12 with 4:04 left.
- Clare Murphy scored the game-winner with 1:33 remaining and VCU forced a George Mason turnover after the ensuing draw control to run out the clock.
VCU is the No. 5 seed in the Atlantic 10 Championship and faces No. 4 Saint Joseph's at 1 p.m. on April 25. The 2019 A-10 Women's Lacrosse Championship is being held at George Mason.