Atlantic 10 Conference Championship – First Round
Score: #5 Davidson 17, #4 VCU 13
Location: Richmond, Va. (Robins Stadium)
Records: VCU 7-11, Davidson 11-7
The short story: Junior attacker Molly Barcikowski supplied four goals and an assist, but VCU's comeback attempt fell short Thursday in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament.
- Barcikowski's four goals Thursday pushed her season total to a career-best 36. She also handed out one assist. She owns 99 career goals, second-most in the three-year history of the program.
- Sophomore midfielder Keriann McTavish scored three times for the Rams and assisted on two others.
- Junior midfielder Sky Hyatt added her 51st goal of the year and provided assists on two others. Hyatt, who is set to graduate, will depart VCU with 134 goals.
- Christine Molinari led Davidson with five goals, while Sam Rippley added four.
- VCU was making its first A-10 Tournament appearance. The Rams began play in 2016.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU trailed for much of the game, but made one final charge at the Wildcats in the second half. McTavish scored back-to-back goals during a 3-0 VCU run as the Rams pulled within 11-10 with 20:01 remaining. However, Molinari and Rippley answered with goals for Davidson at the 19:29 and 16:06 mark, respectively. VCU could get no closer than 14-12 the rest of the way.
- Davidson marched to a 2-0 lead in the opening moments, but McTavish, Barcikowski and sophomore attacker Jessica Del Rossi scored three straight goals in a three-minute span to give the Rams their only lead of the game at 3-2. Davidson responded with four straight goals and did not trail again in the game.
- VCU owned a 33-30 advantage on shots, as well as a 17-16 margin on ground balls and an 18-14 edge in draw controls.
VCU's 2018 season is complete.