Score: George Mason 23, VCU 8
Location: Fairfax, Va. (George Mason Stadium)
Records: VCU 7-10 (5-4 A-10), George Mason 11-6 (5-4 A-10)
The short story: Junior Sky Hyatt recorded a pair of goals, but it wasn't enough to slow a torrid first half by host George Mason in VCU's regular-season finale Saturday in Fairfax, Va.
- Hyatt's two scores gives her 50 goals for the season. She is the first Ram in the program's three-year history to reach that plateau. Hyatt also added an assist Saturday.
- Six other Rams scored one goal. Sophomores Keriann McTavish and Isabella Evans-Reister provided a goal and an assist apiece.
- Junior Morgan Hoff scooped a team-high four ground balls for the Rams.
- Chachi Kelehan led George Mason's offensive blitz with eight goals and three assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kelehan scored seven of her goals in the first half as the Patriots stormed to a 15-3 halftime lead.
- George Mason outshot VCU 31-16 overall, including 23-6 in the first half.
- The Patriots owned a 24-8 advantage in draw controls.
- Hyatt scored the game's first goal just 24 seconds into the contest and pushed the Rams to a 2-1 lead with an unassisted tally three minutes later. But George Mason ripped off eight unanswered goals over the next 10 minutes and closed the first half with a 14-1 run.
VCU has earned the No. 4 seed in the upcoming Atlantic 10 Conference Championship May 3-6 at Robins Stadium on the University of Richmond campus. The Rams will open the tournament against fifth-seeded Davidson on Thursday, May 3 at 11:30 a.m. VCU topped Davidson 12-11 in overtime on April 15.