Final Score: VCU 15, Longwood 9
Location: Farmville, Va. (Longwood Athletics Complex)
Records: VCU 1-2, Longwood 1-4
The Short Story: Led by Molly Barcikowski's three goal and five assist effort, the Rams raced out to a 7-2 lead with 7:10 remaining in the first half and never trailed as they cruised to a road victory over Longwood.
- Barcikowski had game-highs in both goals and assists with three and five, respectively.
- Katie Matz added two goals and two assists on just three shot attempts.
- Blaire Langeler added two goals and an assist while Anna Koniencki also scored twice.
- Sky Hyatt scored twice and added a game-high eight draw controls.
- Ria Peralta made 11 saves in the cage while tying Barcikowski for a team-high three ground balls.
- Megan Williamson, Keriann McTavish, Jessica Del Rossi and Isabella Evans-Riester each scored one goal as well for the Rams.
- Riley Dolan led the Lancers with two goals and two assists.
- VCU outshot Longwood 38-23 overall and 25-19 in shots on goal.
- The Rams had a 15-10 advantage in draw controls and went 4-of-7 on free position attempts while Longwood went just 1-of-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams opened the game with back-to-back goals from Barcikowski and Hyatt to take a 2-0 lead with 24:33 left in the first half.
- Longwood scored two of the next three goals to cut the deficit to just 3-2 with 20:38 remaining before halftime.
- The Rams then scored five unanswered goals in a span of just over 10 minutes to build a 7-2 lead. VCU took a 10-5 lead into the half.
- VCU opened the second half strong scoring three of the first four goals and built 13-6 lead with 14:46 left in the contest and the Lancers got no closer than six goals the rest of the way
VCU travels to Lehigh on March 6 at 3 p.m. in a non-conference match.