Final Score: Dayton 74, VCU 64
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 5-17 (2-8 A-10), Dayton 18-4 (11-0, A-10)
Story Photo Credit: Erik Schelkun
The Short Story: Trailing by as many as 27 points with 8:16 remaining in the game, VCU went on a 21-5 run to storm back and cut the deficit to just 70-62 with 1:19 remaining. The Rams were unable to draw closer as time ran out.
- Taya Robinson scored a career-high 14 points along with six rebounds to lead VCU.
- Danielle Hammond added 13 points and shot 4-of-6 from the floor. She also added three blocks and three rebounds.
- Del Sparks also added 10 points, all in the fourth quarter to help key VCU's late run.
- Dayton held a slight 41-33 rebounding edge.
- VCU's bench outscored Dayton 26-10 and the Flyers had a 13-6 edge in points off turnovers.
- Jenna Burdette scored a game-high 23 points for Dayton. JaVonna Layfield scored 10 points and added 14 rebounds for a double-double.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game started as a back-and-forth contest and Dayton led 9-8 with 3:38 left in the first quarter before going on a 10-0 run to close the quarter with a 19-8 lead.
- The Flyers built on their lead during the second frame and took a 40-20 lead into halftime.
- Dayton held that 20-point margin for most of the third quarter and led 59-36 going into the final 10 minutes.
- VCU would not give up though, trailing 63-36 with 8:16 left before mounting an impressive 21-5 run.
- The run started with a 3-pointer from Sparks who scored 10 of the 21 points during the run. Hammond also added four points during the run.
- VCU cut the deficit to just 70-62 with 1:19 left but would get no closer.
VCU heads to Duquesne to face the Dukes on Feb. 7 for a 7 p.m. tip.