Final Score: VCU 56, Saint Joseph's 54
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 5-16 (2-7 A-10), Saint Joseph's 10-11 (5-3, A-10)
The Short Story: In a game where the lead changed hands 13 times, the Rams trailed 51-50 with just 3:52 left before Tera Reed scored the Rams' final six points to push them past Saint Joseph's.
- The Rams committed a season-low seven turnovers in the victory.
- Reed had a game-high 18 points along with five rebounds and went a perfect 10-of-10 from the free throw line.
- Taya Robinson added eight points and five rebounds.
- Niya Johnson also scored eight points and went 2-of-3 from 3-point range.
- VCU outscored the Hawks 14-1 in bench points and 13-8 in points off turnovers.
- The Rams shot 40 percent from the floor while Saint Joseph's shot 39.6 percent.
- The Hawks were led by Alyssa Monaghan and Adashia Franklyn who eached scored 14 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter was back-and-forth and the two teams were tied 10-10 with 2:10 remaining before Saint Joseph's closed the quarter on a 7-2 run to take a 17-12 lead.
- The Hawks pushed their lead to 23-14 with 6:59 left in the second quarter but Sydnei Archie's jumper ingited a 15-2 run by the Rams to take a 29-25 lead into the break.
- VCU held Saint Joseph's two just two points over the final 6:59 of the second quarter and scoreless for the final 5:33.
- The Rams expanded their lead at the beginning of the second half as they held an eight point lead on three different occasions, the last at 44-36 with 3:22 remaining in the third quarter.
- Saint Joseph's then went on a 7-0 run to close the frame trailing just 44-43.
- The lead changed hands eight times in the fourth quarter and VCU took the lead for good on a jumper from Reed with 1:26 left to go up 54-53. She would make two free throws on the ensuing possession to push the lead to 56-53.
- Saint Joseph's had a final chance with eight seconds remaining but VCU's defense forced Monaghan's 3-point attempt to fall short at the buzzer.
VCU travels to Dayton for a nationally televised contest at 2 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.