Final Score: Duquesne 70, VCU 51
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 3-12 (0-3 A-10), Duquesne 13-3 (3-0 A-10)
The Short Story: Trailing at 37-18 at halftime, the Rams went on a 22-12 run to cut the Duquesne lead to just 49-40 with 9:36 left in the fourth quarter. The Dukes responded with a 10-0 run to expand the lead to 59-40 with 6:44 remaining. After a basket from each team, VCU again made a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to 62-50 but Duquesne closed the game on an 8-1 run to take the victory.
- Tera Reed scored a team-high 13 points along with four rebounds.
- Sofya Pashigoreva had four points and a team-high eight rebounds.
- Danielle Hammond had eight points and three rebounds while Nyra Williams also added eight points and three rebounds.
- VCU outrebounded Duquesne 37-31 and had a 20-7 edge in offensive rebounds but only a 13-11 advantage in second chance points.
- Duquesne shot 52.9 percent from the floor while the Rams only shot 31 percent. The Dukes also were 9-of-20 from 3-point range while the Rams were 5-of-12.
- Duquesne had a 24-15 edge in points off turnovers despite VCU having 20 turnovers and the Dukes committing 16.
- Duquesne was led by Julijana Vojinovic who scored 19 points and added six rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU and Duquesne were locked in a defensive battle early as the Dukes held a 5-1 lead until the 4:26 mark in the first quarter.
- The Dukes ultimately led 17-1 with 2:11 left in the quarter before VCU went on a 6-0 run to make it 17-7 heading into the second quarter.
- The Dukes outscored VCU in the paint 10-2 during the second quarter and 20-11 overall to take a 37-18 lead into halftime.
- After the Dukes got a jumper from Vojinovic to start the second half to make it 39-18, VCU outscored Duquesne 10-2 to cut the deficit to 41-28 with 4:47 left in the third.
- The Rams chipped away at the lead and outscored the Dukes 19-12 in the quarter and Duquesne took a 49-37 lead into the fourth.
- VCU got as close as nine points, trailing 49-40 with 9:36 left in the contest, but Duquesne responded with a 10-0 run to pus the lead back to double digits at 59-40.
- The Rams made another run, this time a 7-0 spurt, to get back into the game and trailed just 62-50 with 2:48 left.
- The Dukes would score eight of the final nine points of the contest to hold on for the win.
VCU travels to Rhode Island for a 7 p.m. tip on Jan. 10.