Final Score: Saint Joseph's 79, VCU 41
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Hagan Arena)
Records: VCU 3-10 (0-1 A-10), Saint Joseph's 6-7 (1-0 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU trailed Saint Joseph's just 32-23 at halftime but the Hawks shot 56 percent in the second half and were able to outscore the Rams 47-18 down the stretch. The game was the Atlantic 10 opener for both teams.
- Tera Reed led VCU with 12 points and tied for the team lead with five rebounds.
- Taya Robinson had six points and four boards.
- Sydnei Archie also pulled in five rebounds while adding two points.
- Saint Joseph's had a 48-23 rebounding edge including a 13-6 advantage in offensive boards but VCU only trailed 6-4 in second chance points.
- The Rams forced 15 Saint Joseph's turnovers with 12 of them coming in the first half.
- The Hawks shot 50.8 percent from the field while the Rams shot just 26.8 percent.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game opened evenly and VCU got on the board first with a basket from Reed.
- The two teams traded buckets until Saint Joseph's held a 12-10 lead with 3:36 left in the quarter.
- Both teams went scoreless for almost two minutes until the Hawks got a layup to end the first frame with a 14-10 lead.
- The Hawks led 18-14 before a 7-0 run put them ahead 25-14 with 5:21 left before halftime.
- The Rams kept the Hawks within striking distance and trailed just 32-23 at the half.
- Saint Joseph's got the first two baskets of the second half before VCU went on a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to just 36-30 with 4:43 left in the third quarter.
- The Hawks outscored the Rams 43-11 for the remainder of the contest to take the victory.
VCU returns home to face George Washington at 6 p.m. on Jan. 3.