Final Score: No. 1 Dayton 77, No. 8 VCU 61
Location: Richmond, Va. (Richmond Coliseum)
Records: VCU 16-15, Dayton 20-9
The Short Story: Trailing No. 1 seed Dayton 57-42 with 1:35 left in the third quarter, No. 8 VCU outscored the Flyers 13-5 to get within 62-55 with 6:52 remaining in the game. Dayton responded with a 5-0 run on their own and the Rams were unable to get closer than nine points for the remainder of the contest.
- GG Goodhope had a team-high 12 points on 5-of-11 shooting from the field along with three assists and three rebounds.
- Isis Thorpe also scored in double figures with 11 points and tied for a team-high with seven rebounds. Katherine Strong also had seven boards.
- The Rams grabbed 23 offensive rebounds to Dayton's 11 but the Flyers outscored VCU 14-10 in second chance points.
- Dayton shot 50.0 percent from the field while the Rams shot 33.3 percent.
- VCU's bench outscored Dayton's 30-27 and the Rams led in steals, 8-4.
- Dayton shot 8-of-14 from 3-point range while VCU went just 3-of-16.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dayton opened the game on a 12-0 spanning the first 4:19.
- VCU scored its first basket of the game on a Thorpe 3-pointer and the Rams were able to outscore Dayton 18-7 down the stretch to only trail 19-18 at the end of the first quarter.
- Both teams stifled the opposing offenses as VCU held Dayton scoreless for over five minutes during the second quarter as VCU trail 29-23 with 4:58 left before halftime.
- The Flyers then went on an 8-2 run and ultimately took a 37-27 at the half.
- VCU opened the second half with a 4-0 run to get within 37-31 before the Flyers slowly pulled away and built a 62-47 lead at the end of the third quarter.
- The Rams admirably battled back and opened the fourth stanza on an 8-0 run that started with an Ashley Pegram jumper and finished with Robinson layup to close the deficit to 62-55.
- Dayton was able to outscore VCU 15-6 during the final 6:52 of the game.