Final Score: Saint Joseph's 80, VCU 70
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel)
Records: VCU 13-14 (6-8 A-10), Saint Joseph's (13-13, 10-4 A-10)
The Short Story: The Rams hung with Saint Joseph's for a majority of the game but the Hawks outscored VCU 26-15 in the third quarter to take hold of the lead before holding off a late VCU charge.
- Keira Robinson scored a team-high 19 points to lead three Rams that scored in double figures.
- GG Goodhope added 15 points and four assists on 5-of-8 shooting.
- Isis Thorpe scored 14 points on 6-of-12 shooting form the field and added five rebounds.
- The Rams shot 60 percent from 3-point range (6-of-10).
- VCU overall shot 49.1 percent from the floor and only committed 10 turnovers.
- The Hawks held a 35-30 edge in rebounding and a 34-22 advantage in points in the paint.
- Saint Joseph's bench outscored VCU's 30-12.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams opened the game taking a 10-6 lead that was started with a 3-pointer from Mooriah Rowser and capped with a Sandra Skinner layup.
- The Rams held a 14-9 lead before a quick 5-0 run from Saint Joseph's tied the game at 14-14 with 2:47 remaining in the first quarter.
- The two teams finished the first period tied 19-19.
- The second quarter was back-and-forth as the quarter had four ties and two lead changes and the two squads were tied 33-33 at halftime. No team led by more than four points during the second frame.
- After Sandra Skinner's jumper, VCU only trailed 36-35 with 8:12 remaining in the third quarter.
- Saint Joseph's then went on an 18-2 run and opened a 54-38 lead with 3:14 remaining in the stanza.
- VCU was able to chip away at the lead at the lead and got within eight points on two different occasions in the last two minutes but the Hawks held on for the victory.
VCU will travel to St. Bonaventure on Feb. 18 for a 1 p.m. tip.