Final Score: VCU 57, Richmond 55
Location: Richmond, Va. (Robins Center)
Records: VCU 13-10 (6-4 A-10), Richmond 10-13 (4-6 A-10)
The Short Story: Mooriah Rowser had a team-high 15 points and Keira Robinson went 4-of-4 from the free throw line in the last 16 seconds to push VCU past rival Richmond. The Rams swept Richmond on the season and pushed their winning streak to four games. It was the first time VCU won at the Robins Center or swept Richmond since the 1999-00 season.
- VCU is now 5-1 on the season in games decided by five points or less.
- The Rams' four-game winning streak is the longest of the season.
- VCU's bench outscored Richmond's 21-4 for the game.
- The Rams led for 31:07 of the game while Richmond led only once for 2:25.
- Rowser scored a team-high 15 on 6-of-13 shooting.
- Curteeona Brelove had 10 rebounds and seven points on 3-of-4 shooting from the field.
- Ashley Pegram had eight points while Katherine Strong had nine points and three rebounds.
- VCU forced 18 Richmond turnovers, the Spiders ranked first in the Atlantic 10 in turnover margin coming into the game.
- VCU went 11-of-18 from the free throw line while Richmond was 16-of-24.
- The Rams had a 17-11 edge in second chance points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the game on a 6-1 run after Brelove scored the first four points of the contest.
- The Spiders responded with a 5-0 run to tie the game at 6-6 with 4:01 remaining in the first quarter.
- VCU pushed its lead back to 14-8 after a GG Goodhope 3-pointer and took a 16-11 lead after the first stanza.
- The Rams bench outscored Richmond 7-0 in the first frame.
- After Richmond made a 3-pointer to start the second frame, VCU went on a 5-0 run sparked by a Pegram 3-pointer and led 21-14 with 8:29 left before halftime.
- Richmond's Janelle Hubbard scored five straight points and two free throws from Kylie Murphy cut the Rams' lead to 23-21 with 4:12 left in the second.
- VCU held off the Spiders and got a Jailyn Maddox jumper to take a 31-27 lead into the break.
- Richmond was able to use a 5-0 run midway through the third quarter to tie the game 35-35 and again at 37-37 but still trailed 43-42 heading into the final frame.
- VCU relinquished the lead for the first time at the beginning of the fourth quarter on a Jaide Hinds-Clarke layup with 9:13 remaining.
- VCU retook the lead after Pegram made a layup and Robinson stole the inbounds pass for an easy layup to make it 48-44 with 6:05 left.
- Richmond would tie it at 50-50 but Rowser drilled a 3-pointer despite getting fouled to give VCU the lead for good at 53-50 with 44 seconds remaining.
- Robinson sealed the win, going a perfect 4-of-4 from the free throw line.
VCU will host Dayton at 1 p.m. on Senior Day and for its Breast Cancer Awareness Game. The game will be a Pink Out.