Final Score: George Mason 70, VCU 59
Location: Fairfax, Va. (EagleBank Arena)
Records: VCU 9-10 (2-4), George Mason 10-9 (3-3)
The Short Story: The Rams trailed the Patriots 59-54 with 5:21 remaining before Tiffany Padgett hit a 3-pointer to push George Mason's lead to 62-54 and the Rams were unable to get closer than four points for the remainder of the contest.
- Mooriah Rowser scored a season-high 17 points to lead all scorers on 7-of-16 shooting.
- Curteeona Brelove posted her third double-double with 13 points and a game-high 11 rebounds.
- Keira Robinson posted her first double-double of the season with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- The Rams had 22 offensive rebounds and led 17-5 in second chance points.
- VCU outrebounded George Mason 48-41.
- The Patriots shot 45 percent from 3-point range on 9-of-20 shooting.
- The Rams were 1-of-12 from deep and shot 30.7 percent for the game.
- The Rams led 30-20 in points in the paint and 10-6 in points off turnovers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams started off well and jumped out to a 5-2 lead to start the contest.
- George Mason outscored VCU 15-7 for the remainder of the first period and took a 17-12 lead at the end of the first frame.
- VCU opened the second quarter on an 8-0 run that spanned less than three minutes to retake the lead at 20-17 with 7:35 left in the period.
- The two teams battled back-and-forth but Mason ultimately held a 36-31 lead at halftime.
- The Rams cut the Patriots lead to just 38-35 with 8:44 left in the third quarter after GG Goodhope hit a 3-pointer.
- VCU kept it within a three point margin until Mason went on an 8-2 run to make it 48-39 with 4:37 left in the frame.
- VCU ended the third period trailing 54-45.
- The Rams would go on a 5-0 run early in the fourth quarter as Brelove hit a free throw, completed a three-point play and made another free throw to cut George Mason's lead to 57-52 with 6:11 left.
- The Rams hung around and got as close as 63-59 with 1:49 remaining but George Mason was able to convert 6-of-7 from the free throw line to finish the game.
The Rams will return home on Jan. 18 to face Rhode Island for a 6 p.m. tip.