Final Score: Saint Joseph's 64, VCU 58
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Hagan Arena)
Records: VCU 9-9 (2-3), Saint Joseph's 4-11 (2-2)
The Short Story: The Rams trailed Saint Joseph's 56-54 with 1:53 remaining in the contest but the Hawks were able to grab two offensive rebounds on their ensuing possession and ultimately converted a layup. The basket aided Saint Joseph's in outscoring VCU 8-4 down the stretch to take the victory.
- Senior guard Keira Robinson had four assists and has sole possession of second place at VCU in career assists with 435.
- GG Goodhope had a team-high 16 points, including seven in the first quarter. She also had six rebounds.
- Katherine Strong had 13 points on 6-of-7 shooting from the field.
- Curteeona Brelove had 12 points and six rebounds.
- Robinson, Brelove and Goodhope all tied for a team-high with six rebounds.
- The Rams shot 41.5 percent from the field while the Hawks shot 37.3 percent.
- Saint Joseph's outrebounded VCU by a slim 34-32 margin.
- The Hawks outscored VCU 16-4 in second chance points off 12 offensive rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Joseph's went out to a 6-2 lead in the first 2:31 of the game.
- VCU responded with a 7-0 run with Goodhope scoring all seven points on two free throws, a jump shot and a 3-pointer to give the Rams a 9-6 lead with 6:11 left in the first.
- Saint Joseph's then went on a 11-4 run to take a 17-10 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- The Hawks pushed their lead to 25-16 with 3:21 left in the second quarter but the Rams again responded and outscored Saint Joseph's 9-3 to only trail 28-25 at halftime.
- VCU got within one point on three different occasions during the third quarter but was unable to take the lead and faced a 45-39 deficit heading into the final frame.
- The Rams rallied from down 56-48 with 4:10 left in the game to cut the deficit to just 56-54 as Mooriah Rowser and Brelove combined for the 6-0 run.
- Saint Joseph's was able to put together a long possession thanks to a couple of offensive rebounds and went 4-of-5 at the free throw line to hold off VCU.