Final Score: Saint Louis 62, VCU 48
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 9-8 (2-2), Saint Louis 13-3 (3-0)
The Short Story: In a game that saw five lead changes and five ties, VCU only trailed Atlantic 10 Preseason favorite Saint Louis 48-44 heading into the fourth quarter but the Rams went cold in the fourth period as Saint Louis pulled away.
- Senior guard Keira Robinson had three assists and has tied Kelly Hoover for second place at VCU for career assists with 431.
- Mooriah Rowser contributed eight points while totaling three rebounds and two steals.
- Senior Isis Thorpe led the Rams with 10 points and three rebounds.
- VCU recorded a combined 10 steals in the game and forced 19 turnovers.
- The Billikens outrebounded the Rams 54-34.
- Saint Louis's Sadie Stipanovich recorded a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds. She also led all players in scoring.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a slow start on both sides, the Rams used stingy defense to jump out to an early 6-2 lead and would go into the second quarter up 12-8.
- The Black and Gold held the Billikens to a measly 21 percent field goal percentage in the first stanza.
- VCU opened up the scoring in the second quarter to extend its lead to 16-8 but Saint Louis answered with an 8-0 run to tie the game at 16-16.
- Tied 16-16 with 5:20 left in the second quarter, VCU went on an 8-2 run sparked by a Pegram jumper.
- Saint Louis responded with a 8-0 run of its own to tie the game 24-24 at halftime.
- The Rams had six steals and forced 13 turnovers in the first half while shutting down the Billikens from behind the arch. Saint Louis was 0-for-4 from the 3-point line in the first half.
- Both teams came out strong in the start of the third quarter. Saint Louis scored 24 points and the Rams totaled 20 to head into the final stanza trailing 48-44.
- VCU was outscored 14-4 in the final frame.