Final Score: VCU 62, Richmond 55
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 9-7 (2-1 A-10), Richmond 7-8 (1-1)
The Short Story: With the game tied 53-53 with 2:13 remaining, VCU outscored Richmond 7-2 down the stretch with all seven of the Rams' points coming at the free throw line. VCU shot 7-of-8 from the line during the run. The game was back-and-forth as it was tied eight times and the lead changed hands five times but the Rams led for 30:07 of the contest and the game was tied for 5:12.
- Keira Robinson had a game high 19 points along with six rebounds and two assists.
- Robinson went 11-of-11 at the free throw line.
- Curteeona Brelove added 12 points and a team-high nine rebounds.
- Isis Thorpe scored 13 points, shooting an efficient 4-of-6 from the floor.
- VCU outrebounded Richmond 42-36 and outscored the Spiders 17-8 in bench points.
- The Rams also held a 26-10 advantage in points in the paint and an 8-0 edge in fast break points.
- VCU shot 19-of-52 (37 percent) while Richmond was 19-of-61 (32 percent).
- The Spiders shot 8-of-18 from 3-point range (44 percent).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU and Richmond battled in the first quarter and the game was tied 12-12 with 5:32 left in the period.
- The Rams went on a quick 6-0 run sparked by a Thorpe 3-pointer to give VCU an 18-12 lead. Richmond would get a bucket back and trim the deficit to 18-14 at the end of the frame.
- VCU kept Richmond at an arm's length for the entire second period but the Spiders kept VCU's lead to just 33-27 at halftime.
- Richmond scored the first five points of the third quarter but Thorpe answered with a 3-pointer to make it 36-32 with 7:40 left in the third.
- Richmond briefly took the lead at 37-36 for just over a minute but Thorpe again made a basket to make it 38-37.
- The teams traded the lead before a 5-0 run by the Rams allowed VCU to hold a 45-41 advantage going into the final period.
- VCU was up 52-47 after Mooriah Rowser and Robinson made back-to-back baskets but a timely 3-pointer allowed Richmond to tie the game 53-53 with 2:13 remaining.
- The Rams then proceeded to go 7-of-8 from the charity stripe to take the victory.