Final Score: VCU 61, La Salle 56
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 8-7 (1-1), La Salle 8-5 (1-1)
The Short Story: Curteeona Brelove continued her streak of hot play, scoring 20 en route to her third consecutive game with double-digit points. Brelove and Mooriah Rowser combined for 36 points as the Rams started 2017 with an Atlantic 10 victory over La Salle.=
- Brelove scored a career-high 20 points and pulled down 7 rebounds.
- Keira Robinson moved into third place on the VCU all-time in career assists with 425, surpassing LaKea Jones.
- Mooriah Rowser added 16 points, shooting 6-of-10 and tying her season-high in field goals made.
- The Rams scored 10 points off turnovers.
- VCU capitalized off of offensive rebounds, scoring 10 second chance points.
- VCU's largest lead was 13 and the Rams never relinquished the lead after the first quarter.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A slow first quarter led to an 8-8 tie to end the period. Both teams shot less than 40% from the field but a 4-for-8 effort from the free throw line in the quarter kept the Rams in the game.
- La Salle ended the half on a 8-3 run with the help of two three-pointers from Adreana Miller to close the deficit.
- Brelove went 4-for-6 from the field in the second quarter as the Rams took a 26-23 into halftime.
- VCU forced five La Salle turnovers in the third quarter and scored 20 in the period to push its lead to 46-35.
- Rowser shot 3-for-3 from the field in the period, including two 3-pointers.
- La Salle fought back in the fourth, aided by VCU foul trouble. The Explorers shot 6-of-8 from the line in the quarter and outscored the Rams 16-11 in the frame.
- La Salle pulled within 57-54 on a made 3-pointer with 33 seconds remaining but would get no closer as the Rams went 4-of-4 from the free throw line to end the game.