Final Score: ODU 70, VCU 60
Location: Norfolk, Va. (Ted Constant Center)
Records: VCU 5-5, ODU 4-3
The Short Story: Playing their second road game in three days, the Rams held a 49-48 lead heading into the fourth quarter before Old Dominion went on a 10-0 run spanning 2:28 to take a 58-49 lead with 7:28 remaining. The Rams got as close as 60-56 with 4:09 remaining in the contest but couldn't overcome the deficit.
- Isis Thorpe made two 3-pointers, tying VCU record for career 3-pointers with 196.
- Four Rams scored in double figures with Thorpe scoring a team-high 13 points.
- Curteeona Brelove had 11 points while Keira Robinson and Mooriah Rowser each had 10 points.
- Sandra Skinner finished with four points and eight rebounds.
- ODU went 23-of-31 at the free throw line while VCU shot only 7-of-10.
- Jennie Simms had a game-high 29 points for the Lady Monarchs with 14-of-18 coming at the free throw line.
- VCU had a slight 44-43 edge in rebounds and a 29-18 edge in bench points.
- ODU outscored the Rams 17-5 on turnovers.
- There were three ties and six lead changes during the contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU fell behind 5-2 to start the game but went on a 10-0 run sparked by a Rowser jumper and capped off with a Brelove layup. The run allowed the Rams to take 12-5 lead with 3:45 left in the first quarter.
- Old Dominion was able to close the gap slightly and trailed 18-13 at the end of the frame.
- With the Rams holding an 18-15 lead with 8:44 left in the second quarter, VCU pulled away again, this time on a 9-2 run to take a 27-17 lead with 4:48 left before halftime.
- The Monarchs were able to again put themselves back into the game with a 13-5 run to trail VCU 32-30 at halftime.
- The two teams continued to battle back and forth during the third quarter and the Rams led 49-48 at the end of the third quarter thanks to a Katherine Strong jumper with six seconds left in the period.
- Old Dominion retook the lead in the fourth quarter on a 10-0 run but VCU outscored the Lady Monarchs 7-3 to pull back within 60-56 with 4:09 remaining. The Rams were unable to get closer before time expired.
VCU returns home to face UNC Greensboro at 1 p.m. on Dec. 11.