Final Score: George Washington 81, VCU 67
Location: Washington, D.C. (Charles E. Smith Center)
Records: VCU 4-4 (0-1), George Washington (6-2, 1-0)
The Short Story: In the Atlantic 10 opener for both teams, the Rams put together a solid first half and led 36-27 at the break. The Colonials mounted a comeback though as they shot 61.1 percent from the field during the second stanza, retaking the lead and holding off VCU for the win.
- Keira Robinson led all scorers with 19 points and five assists.
- GG Goodhope scored in double figures for the third straight contest as she had 14 points, three assists and three rebounds.
- Isis Thorpe had 10 points and three rebounds.
- VCU outrebounded George Washington 43-36.
- The Colonials outscored VCU in the paint 40-22 overall and 8-0 in fast break points.
- George Washington had a 32-12 scoring advantage during the third quarter.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams scored the first points of the contest on a Sandra Skinner layup but the teams had eight ties and three lead changes.
- With the score 17-17 with 2:08 left in the first period, VCU closed on an 8-2 run sparked by a Thorpe 3-pointer and capped off with a Bria Gibson layup at the buzzer to give the Rams a 25-19 lead going into the second period.
- The Rams would push their lead to eight points twice during the early second quarter before a Robinson free throw would give VCU its largest lead of the game to that point at 36-27 with 1:09 remaining and the score held until the break.
- The Rams limited the Colonials to 1-of-8 shooting from behind the arc in the first half and 10-of-31 from the field while they went 4-of-7 from deep and 14-of-30 from the field.
- The Rams scored the first bucket of the third quarter for their largest lead of the contest, leading 38-27.
- George Washington would start its comeback and outscored VCU 32-11 for the remainder of the period to take a 59-49 lead going into the final frame.
- VCU was unable to overcome the deficit as the Colonials outscored the Rams 22-18 in the final frame.
VCU will travel to Furman for a 7:00 p.m. tipoff on Dec. 7.