Final Score: VCU 68, Villanova 66
Location: Ocean Center (Daytona Beach, Fla.)
Records: VCU 4-2, Villanova 1-4
The Short Story: The Rams went on a 8-0 run to end the first half to only trail 34-32 at the break. The Rams took the lead for good on a 3-pointer on a GG Goodhope 3-pointer to start the fourth quarter and staved off the Wildcats with timely baskets and free throw shooting.
- Goodhope had a season-high 16 points to lead VCU along with four rebounds.
- Bria Gibson had nine points and a team-high 11 rebounds.
- Keira Robinson had nine points while Isis Thrope had eight points.
- All 11 players that logged minutes for the Rams scored at least two points.
- VCU held a 39-29 edge in rebounds and a 15-9 advantage in points off turnovers.
- The Rams also led in second chance points at 13-8.
- VCU limited Villanova to just 6-of-22 from 3-point range (23.7 percent).
- The Rams shot 44.6 percent from the field while the Wildcats shot 44.4 percent.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Villanova shot 4-of-8 from 3-point range in the first quarter as the Wildcats jumped out to a 25-15 lead heading into the second quarter.
- The Rams came alive during the second frame as they limited Villanova to just nine points and outscored them 17-9 overall.
- Trailing 34-25, VCU clamped down defensively closed the half on an 8-0 run that spanned just over five minutes to only trail 34-32 at the break.
- The Rams tied the game 38-38 on a Robinson jumper with 8:21 remaining in the third and took a 40-38 lead on the next processions as Goodhope knocked down a jumper.
- The Wildcats came back to tie the game 44-44 before VCU outscored Villanova 11-4 to take its largest lead of the game at 55-48 with 1:35 left in the third quarter.
- The Wildcats reeled off seven quick points to even the scored 55-55 at the end of the third quarter.
- VCU took the lead for good to start the fourth quarter on the Goodhope 3-pointer but Villanova contested the Rams down the stretch.
- The Rams iced the game on a Robinson free throw to give VCU a 68-66 lead and Villanova's final heave at the buzzer missed.
COACH O'BOYLE ON THE GAME
"It was a tremendous team effort against a very good Villanova team. Villanova has the ability to really score from the outside and I thought our team executed our game plan well and made made some big plays down the stretch."