Final Score: VCU 68, American 62
Location: Ocean Center (Daytona Beach, Fla.)
Records: VCU 3-2, American 1-3
The Short Story: Trailing 50-49 with 8:53 remaining in the fourth quarter, the Rams went on a 10-0 run sparked by three consecutive Mooriah Rowser baskets that gave VCU a 59-50 lead with 3:26 left. The Rams lead was cut to four points with 22 seconds remaining but steady free throw shooting sealed the victory.
- VCU shot 83.0 percent from the free throw line (20-of-23).
- Keira Robinson had a game-high 18 points with four assists and two steals
- Rowser had 13 points and four rebounds on 6-of-10 shooting.
- Bria Gibson had 10 points, eight rebounds, three steals and two blocks.
- VCU held a 40-29 edge in rebounds and a 19-7 advantage in second chance points.
- The Rams outscored the Eagles' bench 17-5 and in points off turnovers at 17-13.
- There were five ties and nine lead changes during the course of the contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU and American played close as the Rams led 12-11 with 2:13 left in the first before embarking on a 7-0 run to end the first quarter with a 19-11 lead.
- The Rams' lead was 21-13 before the Eagles responded with a 6-0 run to cut the lead to 21-19 with 7:28 left before halftime.
- The Rams would be up 25-20 before American went on another 6-0 run to take a 26-25 lead with 3:08 left in the quarter.
- It was the first lead for American since the Eagles were up 2-1 just 30 seconds into the first quarter.
- The two teams were tied 30-30 at halftime.
- American pushed its lead to 40-33 with 4:56 left in the third quarter before a Katherine Strong jumper and an Ashlee Mitchell layup got the Rams back within 40-37.
- Two Robinson free throws would give the Rams the lead back at 43-42 with 2:07 remaining in the third quarter and VCU would lead 47-44 at the end of the frame.
- The Eagles hung around and briefly retook the lead at 50-49 with 8:53 remaining before Rowser got hot and made three consecutive jumpers as the Rams embarked on their 10-0 run to take the lead for good.
COACH O'BOYLE ON THE GAME
"The team showed great composure down the stretch to earn a hard-fought win. We are looking forward to getting after it again tomorrow against Villanova."