Fordham Rallies Past VCU, 76-73; Snaps Rams’ Eight-Game Home Winning Streak
FINAL: Fordham 76, VCU 73 (Richmond, Va. – Verizon Wireless Arena)
RECORDS: Fordham (15-3, 4-1 A-10), VCU (15-3, 3-2 A-10)
VCU STARTERS: #22 Williams, #24 Parks, #31 Henry, #34 Robinson, #45 Thorpe
FORDHAM STARTERS: #1 Rooney, #11 Tapio, #24 Clark, #25 Missry, #42 Corning
- VCU overcame an 11-point second half deficit with a big surge midway through the period but Fordham rallied late to edge the Rams, 76-73, Wednesday evening at the Verizon Wireless Arena.
- Senior Robyn Parks led all scorers with a game-high 26 points, while freshman Keira Robinson added 15 points to go along with seven assists, and classmate Isis Thorpe chipped in 13 points for VCU. Senior Zakia Williams also finished with nine points, five rebounds, four assists and four steals.
- Fordham, which snapped the Rams' eight-game home winning streak, picked up its 14th win in its last 15 games, while improving to 4-1 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Fordham hit 6-of-8 from the field, including 3-of-4 from 3-point range, en route to an early 15-7 advantage less than four minutes into the game.
- Trailing 23-15 with 12:23 showing, VCU used a 9-0 spurt spanning just over three minutes and regained the lead, 24-23, on a 3-pointer from Robinson. However, Danielle Padovano converted a pair at the line and Erin Rooney drained a trey to put Fordham back in front at the 7:51 mark.
- Sophomore Adaeze Alaeze eventually knotted the game at 36-36 at the charity stripe with 2:12 left in the opening stanza but Fordham, which hit eight threes in the first half, scored the final seven points and claimed a 43-36 advantage at the break.
- Fordham picked up where it left off, using an 11-0 run spanning both halves to push its lead to 47-36 less than a minute into the second period.
- VCU continued to battle and Parks sparked a massive 29-9 run over the next 12 minutes, which gave the Rams a 65-56 lead with 7:18 to play. The Black and Gold maintained its pace and claimed a 10-point advantage with 3:43 remaining.
- Fordham began to chip away and eventually took its first lead in more than 12 minutes when Hanna Missry drained back-to-back triples, the first of which she banked in from the left wing, to put her squad ahead for good, 72-71, with 48 seconds to go.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU, which ranks third in the nation averaging 13.1 steals, kept pace with 12 against Fordham.
- The Rams, who lead the Atlantic 10 in turnovers forced (22.9/game), caused 18 miscues.
- Sophomore Melanie Royster grabbed a team-high tying eight rebounds. Parks also collected eight boards.
- Fordham went 8-of-18 from 3-point range in the first half and finished 11-of-36.
- Rooney recorded a triple double with 11 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists for Fordham, while Abigail Corning added 18 points and 10 rebounds.
WHAT'S AHEAD: After playing seven of its last 10 games at home, VCU hits the road for 2 p.m. contest at UMass on Jan. 18. The Rams then return to the Verizon Wireless Arena against Duquesne on Jan. 22.