VCU Fends Off Second Half Rally in 67-57 Win at Texas-Pan American
FINAL: VCU 67, UTPA 57 (UTPA Fieldhouse – Edinburg, Texas)
RECORDS: VCU (3-1), UTPA (2-2)
VCU STARTERS: #23 Pellechio, #24 Parks, #34 Robinson, #44 Calhoun, #45 Thorpe
UTPA STARTERS: #3 Walker, #11 Goff, #15 Boyd, #21 Bush, #24 Preston
- Senior Robyn Parks posted her second straight double-double with game highs of 16 points and 15 rebounds, and VCU fended off a second half rally in a 67-57 win at Texas-Pan American Thursday night.
- The Rams, who closed the first half on a 23-6 run, had four players score in double figures for the fourth straight game. Sophomore Jessica Pellechio added 13 points on a perfect 5-of-5 shooting, including 3-of-3 from beyond the arc, while freshman Keira Robinson and sophomore Adaeze Alaeze chipped in 11 points apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Pellechio went 4-of-4 from the field, including 2-of-2 from long range, and scored 10 straight points as VCU erased an early four-point deficit less than five minutes into the game.
- A tip-in by Jasmine Thompson allowed UTPA to regain the lead at 21-20 with 11:31 showing before VCU caught fire and closed the half on a 23-6 run to gain momentum at the break.
- The Rams held the Brocs scoreless for eight minutes until back-to-back treys pulled UTPA within 34-27 with 2:01 showing. VCU then scored nine straight points in the final 1:49, capped by an and-one from freshman Monnazjea Finney-Smith, and took a 43-27 advantage into the locker room.
- UTPA came out of intermission recharged as the Broncs used a 15-0 run to pull within 43-42 with 12:14 remaining. Back-to-back baskets from Parks, including a traditional 3-point play, gave VCU a five-point cushion a minute later.
- The Broncs continued to rally and eventually regained the lead on a layup by Brianna Sifford with just over 10 minutes to play, but as they did earlier in the game, the Rams responded and Parks led another charge, scoring eight points as part of a 16-1 run spanning five minutes to put the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Robinson dished out six assists and collected a career-high five steals.
- Alaeze added eight rebounds and three assists to go along with her 11 points off the bench.
- Finney-Smith chipped in seven points and five rebounds for the Rams, while senior Ryen Henry grabbed a career-high seven boards.
- VCU forced 26 turnovers, which marked the third time in four games this season the Rams have caused 20 or more opponent miscues.
- VCU held a 54-41 advantage on the glass.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU remains in Texas for a matchup against UT-Arlington on Sunday, Nov. 24. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. EST. The Rams then travel to UNC Greensboro on Nov. 27.