FINAL: VCU 93, Elon 76 (Verizon Wireless Arena – Richmond, Va.)
RECORDS: VCU (2-1), Elon (2-1)
VCU STARTERS: #23 Pellechio, #24 Parks, #34 Robinson, #44 Calhoun, #45 Thorpe
ELON STARTERS: #1 Stephenson, #3 Brown, #11 Rhodes, #23 Harris, #24 Coffer
- Senior Robyn Parks led all scorers with a game-high 23 points, while freshman Isis Thorpe added a career-best 20 to pace four Rams in double figure scoring as VCU cruised to a 93-76 victory over Elon in its home opener Sunday afternoon at the Verizon Wireless Arena.
- Freshman Camille Calhoun contributed a career-high 15 points, while sophomore Adaeze Alaeze chipped in 14 off the bench, and VCU had four players score in double figures for the third straight game.
- The Rams are averaging 83.0 points per game behind their new-look "Fury" brand this season, compared to just 57.3 ppg during the same stretch last year.
- VCU has won back-to-back home openers under second-year Head Coach Marlene Stollings, and seven of its last eight overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A jumper from Parks gave VCU an early six-point advantage just over two minutes in before Elon scratched back and eventually took a 13-11 lead on a basket by Lenaira Ruffin at the 14:41 mark. The Phoenix lead wouldn't last long, however, as Calhoun grabbed an offensive rebound on the ensuing possession and converted a traditional 3-point play to give VCU the lead for good.
- Elon pulled within two points twice over the next two minutes but it was as close as the Phoenix would get the remainder of the game.
- Up 23-20 with 7:12 showing, VCU used a quick 7-0 spurt and built a 10-point advantage on a layup from Alaeze with five minutes left in the opening stanza. The Rams pushed their lead to as many as 13 points before taking a 49-39 lead advantage the locker room.
- Elon cut its 12-point deficit in half with three straight baskets from Sam Coffer early in the second period as she made it 60-54 on a jumper with 14 minutes to play. Freshman Ashlee Mitchell halted the rally with a triple on VCU's next possession, which sparked a 23-7 run spanning nearly seven minutes and put the game out of reach.
- The Rams' lead ballooned to as many as 22 points on a jumper from Thorpe with 6:30 remaining.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Parks posted her first double-double of the season with 23 points and 12 rebounds. The Waldorf, Md. native, who is averaging 24.5 ppg during her last two outings, logged nine double-doubles last year to go along with 13 20-point performances.
- Freshman point guard Keira Robinson dished out a career-high eight assists.
- VCU shot 9-of-19 from 3-point range against the Phoenix, including 4-of-6 from Thorpe. The Rams have knocked down at least eight triples in all three games this season.
- Ten different players scored for VCU as the Rams shot a season-high 48.6 percent from the field, including 52.9 percent in the first half. The Black and Gold also held a 40-18 advantage in the paint.
- VCU, which is forcing 22.3 turnovers per game, caused Elon to commit 19 miscues, which accounted for 21 points.
- The Rams' bench was productive once again Sunday as VCU held a 24-9 advantage in bench scoring. VCU's reserves have outscored opposing benches 87-34 so far this season.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU continues its early season road swing as the Rams travel to Texas for a pair of games against Texas-Pan American (Nov. 21) and UT-Arlington (Nov. 24).
POSTGAME PRESS CONFERENCE
VCU VS. ELON HIGHLIGHTS