Women's Basketball Gameday Central: VCU vs. Dayton (Quarterfinals)
|Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament Central|
|Who:||#8 VCU (22-8, 9-6 A-10) vs. #1 Dayton (21-6, 14-2 A-10)|
|When:||Friday, March 7, 2014 - 12 p.m. EST
The Richmond Coliseum
|TV:||Atlantic 10 TV (Web stream)
|Ram Radio:||VCUAthletics.com (Play-by-Play: Jon Laaser, Color: John Jay Schwartz)|
|Social Media:||VCU Athletics Twitter | VCU Athletics Scores Twitter | VCU Athletics Facebook|
- Second-year conference member VCU has advanced to the quarterfinals in its quest for an Atlantic 10 championship. The Rams, who are eying their first conference title, fell in last year's first round to Duquesne at Hagan Arena in Philadelphia.
THE RICHMOND COLISEUM
- Although the VCU Men's team has a long history with the Richmond Coliseum, the women's squad has been more of an occasional visitor. The Rams are 11-10 all-time at the Coliseum (including Thursday's win), and their last visit came during the 1998 CAA Tournament.
- Senior forward Robyn Parks was named All-Atlantic 10 First Team, as well as to the league's All-Defensive Team on March 4. Parks, who leads the A-10 in scoring (21.8 ppg) and rebounding (9.3 rpg), was a Third Team pick in 2012-13.
- In addition, freshman phenom Keira Robinson was selected to the A-10's All-Rookie Team. Robinson averages 11.6 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. She has won four A-10 Rookie of the Week awards.
- VCU's win over St. Bonaventure on Feb. 19 was the Rams' 20th of the season. It's VCU's sixth 20-win season all-time and first since 2009-10. VCU has won 11 more games than it did all of last season, which it finished 11-19.
VCU 20-Win Seasons (all-time)
Season W-L Pct. Coach
1986-87 21-8 .724 Mike Dunavant
1994-95 20-10 .667 Susan Walvius
2007-08 26-8 .765 Beth Cunningham
2008-09 26-7* .788 Beth Cunningham
2009-10 22-13 .629 Beth Cunningham
2013-14 22-8 .724 Marlene Stollings
* - Made NCAA Tournament
OFF TO THE RACES
- This year's Rams are the highest scoring team in program history. VCU is averaging 76.8 points per game this season, more than a point better than the previous mark.
Points Per Game, VCU History
Season PPG Games Points
2013-14 76.3 30 2,289
1988-89 75.5 29 2,189
1986-87 73.0 29 2,117
- VCU set a school record for 3-pointers Feb. 5 at Dayton. The previous mark of 174 was established by the 2009-10 club. The Rams, 220-of-716 (.307) from three this season, are averaging 7.4 three-point makes per game. VCU set a school record with 14 three-poiners Jan. 2 in a win over UMass.
- In that same contest at Dayton, point guard Keira Robinson surpassed the VCU single-season mark for assists by a freshman of 151, set by Gabrielle Kyhlsteadt in 1994-95. Robinson has 189 assists this season, third-most in VCU single-season history, and is averaging 6.3 per game, which ranks 16th nationally and second among freshmen.
- Prior to this season, VCU had topped 100 points in a game just once, but the Rams scored 112 on two separate occasions in January alone. VCU's previous record for points in a game had stood since a 101-91 victory over Kent State in 1992.