September 6, 2013
ADAM, MEN’S SQUAD LOOK STRONG AS RAMS OPEN UP SEASON AT SPIDER ALUMNI OPEN
- Event: University of Richmond's Spider Alumni Open
- Location: Pole Green Park – Mechanicsville, Va.
- The Short Story: The VCU cross country squads opened up their fall season at nearby Pole Green Park, the site of the 2013 Atlantic 10 Championships. Fresh off an appearance at last year's NCAA Regionals, Mohamed Adam (sixth overall) led the men's squad to a fourth-place finish. Freshman Ariel Briales led a very young women's squad to a sixth-place finish.
- Men's Results: Duquesne (34), Richmond (50), William & Mary (61), VCU (80), George Mason (108), Hampton (190)
- Women's Results: William & Mary (16), Duquesne (57), Richmond (63), George Mason (122), Hampton (155), VCU (166)
- Adam led three Rams in the top-20 on the men's side. The junior finished the five-kilometer course in 15:15.9, good for sixth-place. Junior Sam Hush crossed the line in 15:36 (16th), followed closely behind by freshman Ben Sorensen at 15:40.4 (19th).
- Briales led a trio of freshmen who were the top finishers for the women's squad. The Virginia Beach, Va. native clocked in at 11:57.8 for the two-mile course, good for a top-50 finish. Close behind were classmates Emily Dyke (12:05.5) and Caitlin McNicholl (12:08.1)
Director of Cross Country Nicole Cook
- "It was a good meet for us because we were able to gain some insight into both squads and now we can take that and learn from it. We'll continue to move forward towards preparing for the conference meet."
- "I was really pleased with our men's showing. They were really competitive with all the teams and showed they are ready to step up to the challenge when the conference championships come around. All of them raced with fight and determination. I was proud of their efforts."
- "The women's squad is really young and have a lot of new faces. They continued to show progress with freshman Ariel Briales leading the way."
- The Rams are back in action on Sept. 19 when they take part in the Virginia Union Invitational.