Atlantic 10 Conference Championships
Location: Fairfax, Va. (George Mason Stadium)
Team scoring (through 6 of 22 events): Rhode Island 91.5, George Mason 36.5, UMass 28, VCU 19, George Washington 17, Fordham 15, Saint Louis 13, Davidson 9, Duquesne 4
THE STARTING LINE
- Senior Marcus Finnie uncorked a career-best leap of 7.26 meters (23'10'') Saturday to capture second place in the long jump. His mark is five inches longer than his previous best jump. Rhode Island's Casey Burley won the event with a jump of 7.37 meters.
- Additionally, junior Bashir Idris recorded a seventh-place effort in the long jump at 7.18 meters.
- Senior Shawn Scornaienchi also provided critical points for the Rams when he logged a fourth-place finish in the javenlin with a toss of 59.55 meters (195'4'').
- Also scoring Saturday was freshman Will Schwartz, who placed seventh in the hammer with a heave of 46.75 meters (153'4'').
- A number of Rams advanced into Sunday's finals. In the 110 hurdles, sophomore Ian Davis registered the second-best time of the day (14.45) en route to Sunday's final.
- In the 400, Bigal Harrison and Devon Thompson also advanced.
- The 100 final will feature three VCU runners. Junior Jamik Alexander and Finnie both ran 10.71 to finish 1-2 in the prelims, while senior Kareem Payne also qualified. Alexander also reached the finals in the 200.
- Senior Zayd Abdul-Ali advanced out of the 400 hurdle preliminary rounds.
The 2018 Atlantic 10 Championships conclude Sunday with a slew of finals on the track, beginning at 11 a.m.