Meet: George Mason Spring Invitational
Location: Fairfax, Va.
The Short Story: With 59 points, the men's team placed sixth overall among 17 teams at the George Mason Spring Invitational. Both relay teams dominated the competition as the Rams claimed first place spots in the 4x100 and 4x400.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The men's 4x100 meter relay team squeaked out a first place finish, outperforming Saint Francis by .12 seconds. Devin Bethea led off for the Rams and was followed by Jamik Alexander, Kareem Payne, and Justin West. The squad's time was a 41.57.
- The Rams' 4x400 meter relay team also won, running a 3:15.32 time behind the efforts of Kahlil Shepard, Chukwuezugo Aguolu, Devon Thomson, and Bigal Harrison.
- Harrison earned third place in the men's 400 meter, outsprinting 35 other competitors. With a 47.68 time, the senior set a new personal best
- Before doing his part in the 4x100, Alexander placed sixth in the 100 meter dash. The junior ran his fastest time of the season with a 10.95.
- Senior Zayd Abdul-Ali competed in the 400m hurdles and set a personal best with his 55.00 time. Abdul-Ali took fifth place in the event. Shawn Scornaienchi also grabbed fifth place in javelin, recording a mark of 52.11.
- Freshman thrower Will Schwartz set a personal best in hammer throw. Schwartz cleared a distance of 48.61m, which was good enough for seventh overall.
VCU travels west to Charlottesville, Va. for the Virginia Challenge on Friday, April 20.