Meet: VCU Ram Invitational
Location: Richmond, Va.
Results: Ram Invitational Results
The Short Story: VCU opened its outdoor season on Friday, March 17 at day one of the VCU Ram Invitational. Three Rams won events and two others placed on day one as Calvin Wood and Racheed Davis built upon recent indoor success. Day two saw javelin thrower Drew Hess come within two meters of the VCU school record and a dominating performance by Bryce Catlett in the 3,000-meter run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wood placed first in the 1,500-meter run with a time 4.04.08. It is his best time since running 4:00.25 in the event last year at the Fred Hardy Invitational.
- Austin Conway placed second behind Wood with a time of 4:08.92.
- Drew Hess came within two meters of the VCU school record in the javelin with a throw 59.78 meters to win the event.
- Shawn Scornaienchi placed second in the javelin with a throw of 53.53 meters.
- Racheed Davis placed first in his first triple jump of the outdoor season, leaping to a mark of 14.09 meters.
- Kahlil Shepard finished the 400-meter run with a time 49.32 seconds to finish second in the event. Chukwuezugo Aguolo placed third in his first outdoor competition as a Ram with a time of 49.81 seconds.
- Bryce Catlett dominated the field in the 3,000-meter run, coming in first with a time of 9:02.77. Bismillah Alidost and Michael Villagomez rounded out the top three with times of 9:09.03 and 9:20.70, respectively.
- Nicholas Buckingham placed third in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.19 seconds. It is a new personal record for Buckingham.
- Zayd Abdul-Ali and Ian Davis finished first and second in the 400-meter hurdles with times of 57.06 and 1:00.08.
- Jamik Alexander and Kareem Payne finished first and second, respectively, in the 200-meter dash. Alexander ran a time of 22.25 while Payne posted a time of 22.52.
- Kahlil Shepard and Devon Thompson rounded out the top five in the 200-meter dash. Shepard hit a time of 22.94 and Thompson posted a time of 22.95 in his first outdoor event as a Ram.
- A handful of VCU Track & Field alumni returned to the track to partake in a friendly 4x100-meter relay. The 'A' team consisted of Ryan Coles '15, Anthony Green '15, Laura Siewert '01, and Rhyann Johnson '08. The 'B' team was made up of Joseph Edwards '11, Courtney Jackson '06, Allan Moody '11, and Kiara Porter '15. Lastly, the 'C' team included Niema Eaves '15, Juan Little '15, Justin Snyder '11 and Jeff Hernandez '10. Team C had an early lead but a late surge by Kiara Porter of Team B gave her team the victory. Team B had a combined time of 48.79 seconds.
VCU will split the squad next weekend and send half the athletes to the Fred Hardy Invitational in Richmond, Virginia and the other half to the Roadrunners Invitational in San Antonio, Texas. Both meets will be held on Friday, March 24 and Saturday, March 25.
COACH RILEY ON THE MEET
"The coaches were happy with how everything went. We were able to see what we need to work on for the next couple of weeks. We have a good group and we need to continue to grind."