VCU Competes Toe-to-Toe with Some of the Best Teams in the Country at Florida Relays
Event: Florida Relays - Gainesville, Fla.
The Short Story: VCU continued to perform at an elite level against some of the best track and field programs in the country on day two of the Florida Relays in Gainesville, Fla. on Saturday.
How It Happened
- VCU's 1600-meter sprint melody team of freshman Desmond Smallwood, sophomore George Moore, junior Kyle Sipple and senior Khalid Khamis finished in eighth place. The team ran a time of 3:27.16.
- In the 4x100-meter relay, the team of senior Tyler Jackson, sophomores Tehquin Warrick and Moore and Smallwood ran a season-best 42.01 seconds. They placed in 23rd of 29 teams.
- The Rams also set a season-best in the 4x400-meter relay with a time of 3:14.45. The team of Warrick, senior Dominic Costanzo, Sipple, and Moore placed 23 of 36.
- In the shot put, sophomore Brandon Ruffin set an outdoor personal record of 16.65-meters (54'7.5"), finishing third. While senior Luke Thomason had an outdoor personal record with a throw of 14.21-meters (46'7.5"), placing 14th.
What They're Saying
Head Coach Jon Riley
- "I am pleased with the effort out athletes displayed this weekend against the caliber of competition we faced."
VCU returns to action next weekend, Saturday, April 13 at the George Mason Invitational in Fairfax, Va.