Men's Track and Field Kicks Off 2013 at Father Diamond Invitational
MEET: George Mason University's Father Diamond Invitational – (Fairfax, Va.)
THE BASICS: The VCU Men's Track & Field program kicked off its 2013 season traveling to the Father Diamond Invitational in Fairfax, Va. on Saturday. The Rams had 14 athletes finish in the top 10 of their respective events.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams had two top 10 finishers in the men's 60m hurdles. In his first collegiate meet, freshman Kyle Martin ran an 8.33 to finish in second place, while junior Chase Turner placed fourth with a time 8.40.
- In the 60m dash, freshman Desmond Smallwood finished in third place. Smallwood ran a 7 flat.
- The 4x800 relay team, of sophomores Anthony Green, Khalid Khamis, and seniors Kyle Sipple and Alex Hinton, qualified for the IC4A with a time of 7:52.46.
- VCU placed three athletes in the top 10 in the 500m dash. Sophomore George Moore (1:05.92) led the Rams with a third place finish, while senior Dominic Costanzo (1:06.43 personal record) finished sixth and sophomore Tehquin Warrick (1:06.50) placed eighth.
- The men's 4x400 relay team of Moore, Costanzo, Warrick and freshman Derrian Flemings placed fourth. The foursome ran a 3:22.12.
- The Rams' had four of the top five finishers in the weight throw. Senior Frank Afriyie (17.38m personal record and IC4A qualifying), sophomore Brandon Ruffin (15.72), sophomore Ryan Coles (14.83) and senior Luke Thomason (14.59m personal record) finished second through fifth, respectively. Afriyie's throw was the second-best mark in school history.
- In the triple jump the Rams had a pair of top five finishers. Junior Andrew Shipp was second with a jump of 13.93m. Freshman Delvin Woodruff opened his collegiate career with a jump of 13.25m.
- Sophomore Evan Morton placed ninth in the long jump for the Rams with a jump of 6.18m.
"I was very proud of everyone's effort today. This meet knocked the rust off some of our athletes. We did have a few technical flaws and mental mistakes but I can except that since we were coming off of a three week break.
- VCU Head Track and Field Coach Jon Riley
The Rams continue the indoor season at the Navy Quad in Annapolis, Md. on Jan. 12.