- Score: Minnesota 4, VCU 3
- Records: VCU (20-7), Minnesota (15-10)
- Location: Snyder Tennis Center – Charlottesville, Va.
- The Short Story: In a match that lasted over four hours, the VCU men's tennis team dropped a tough, hard-fought battle to Minnesota, 4-3, in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. After taking the doubles point, VCU got singles wins from Alejandro Argente and Jaime Vazquez to send the match into a do-or-die matchup at #1 singles. The Atlantic 10's Most Outstanding Player, Max Wennakoski, would nearly complete a thrilling comeback, but fell short, falling in a tough, three-set match to 53rd-ranked Rok Bonin.
How It Happened
- VCU grabbed momentum early when the 44th-ranked duo of Alexis Heugas and Dylan McCloskey won 8-3 at the top doubles position. Wennakoski and freshman Michal Voscek followed suit with an 8-4 victory to put the Rams up 1-0 in the match.
- Minnesota evened it up with a singles victory at #2, but Argente dropped Jack Hamburg, 6-3, 6-1 to put VCU up 2-1.
- However, the Gophers responded with wins at #4 and #6 to grab a 3-2 lead, but Vazquez answered with a 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) win at #5 singles to even it up a 3-3.
- Wennakoski and Bonin would lock into an epic battle with Bonin taking the first set in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (7-3). Wennakoski breezed through the second set 6-0 to send it to a winner-take-all third set. After getting down 5-2, Wennakoski rallied to make it 5-4, but ultimately fell, 6-4 as the Rams' magical season came to a close.
#35 Minnesota 4, #30 VCU 3
1. #53 Rok Bonin (MINN) def. #29 Max Wennakoski (VCU) 7-6 (7-3), 0-6, 6-4
2. #83 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. #77 Alexis Heugas (VCU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Michal Voscek (VCU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jaime Vazquez (VCU) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Dylan McCloskey (VCU) 6-4, 7-5
1. #44 Alexis Heugas/Dylan McCloskey (VCU) def. Mathieu Froment/Jack Hamburg (MINN) 8-3
2. Max Wennakoski/Michal Voscek (VCU) def. Rok Bonin/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 8-4
3. Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez (VCU) vs. Eric Frueh/Leandro Toledo (MINN) 4-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,3,4,6,5,1)