- Score: VCU 4, Xavier 0
- Records: VCU (19-6), Xavier (20-5)
- Location: Lindner Family Tennis Center- Mason, Ohio
- The Short Story: Senior Max Wennakoski earned his 88th career singles victory to lead the VCU men's tennis team into the Atlantic 10 Championship match with a commanding 4-0 victory over Xavier. The Rams rolled through the doubles point and posted three straight set singles wins to secure their berth in Sunday's title match. Head Coach Paul Kostin is now just one win away from his 1,000th career victory.
How It Happened
- The upperclassmen duo of Jaime Vazquez and Alejandro Argente got things started for the Rams with an 8-3 win at #3 doubles. Junior Alexis Heugas and freshman Dylan McCloskey wrapped up the doubles point for VCU with an 8-4 win at the top doubles spot.
- Argente quickly extended that lead to 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Xavier's Zach Mueck at #3 singles. Freshman Michal Voscek pushed it to 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over his own at #5 singles.
- For the second straight day, Wennakoski wrapped things up for the Black & Gold, this time dropping Jimmy Roebker, 6-0, 6-2 for his 32nd singles win of the year.
VCU 4, Xavier 0
1. Max Wennakoski (VCU) d. Jimmy Roebker (XU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Alexis Heugas (VCU) vs. Mesa Mei (XU) 4-6, 4-2 DNF
3. Alejandro Argente (VCU) d. Zach Mueck (XU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Claes Goransson (VCU) vs. Brandon MacDonald (XU) 6-3, 5-3 DNF
5. Michal Voscek (VCU) d. Adam Krull (XU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jaime Vazquez (VCU) vs. Patrick Bandy (XU) 6-3, 2-3 DNF
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1
Heugas/McCloskey (VCU) d. Mei/Roebker (XU) 8-4
Wennakoski/Voscek (VCU) vs. Bandy/Paul (BU) 7-2 DNF
Argente/Vazquez (VCU) d. Krull/Mueck (BU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1