RAMS DROP NORTH CAROLINA, 5-2, FOR 12TH WIN OF THE YEAR
- Score: VCU 5, North Carolina 2
- Records: VCU (12-4), North Carolina (7-4)
- Location: Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center - Chapel Hill, N.C.
- The Short Story: VCU used victories from upperclassmen Max Wennakoski and Alexis Heugas to pick up its sixth win in its past seven outings, a 5-2 defeat of 44th-ranked North Carolina. Senior Jaime Vazquez and junior Alejandro Argente also picked up singles victories on the afternoon.
How It Happened
- Wennakoski teamed with freshman Michal Voscek to get the Rams off to a strong start with an 8-3 decision at the second doubles spot. Argente and Vazquez weren't far behind with an 8-6 victory at the third doubles position to secure the match's first point.
- After UNC won the first singles match to tie it up, Vazquez swept his opponent 6-0, 6-2 at the sixth doubles spot to put the Rams back out in front.
- Heugas followed with a 6-4, 6-2 win over 29th-ranked Esben-Hess Olesen at the top singles spot to make it 3-1 in favor of VCU.
- After UNC won its second singles match, Wennakoski and Argente closed out the match with wins at #2 and #5 to secure the match victory.
#28 VCU 5, #44 North Carolina 2
1. William Parker/Brett Clark (UNC) vs. #39 Alex Huegas/Dylan McClosky, 5-5 (DNF)
2. Michael Voscek/Max Wennakoski d. Nelson Vick/Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC), 8-3
3. #38 Alejandro Argente/Jamie Vazquez (VCU) d. Oystein Steiro/Andrew Gores (UNC), 8-6
1. #99 Alex Heugas (VCU) d. #29 Esben-Hess Olesen (UNC), 6-4, 6-2
2. #15 Max Wennakoski (VCU) d. #110 Nelson Vick (UNC), 6-3, 6-4
3. #124 Brett Clark (UNC) d. Claes Gorensson (VCU), 6-1, 6-1
4. William Parker (UNC) d. Michael Voscek (VCU), 7-6 (2), 6-1
5. Alejandro Argente (VCU) d. Oystein Steiro (UNC), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
6. Jamie Vazquez (VCU) d. Stuart DePaolo (UNC), 6-0, 6-2
- VCU returns home next Tuesday when it hosts 22nd-ranked Wake Forest. First serve at Thalhimer Tennis Center is set for 2:30 p.m.