- Score: VCU 5, Michigan State 0
- Records: VCU (7-3), Michigan State (4-5)
- Location: Thalhimer Tennis Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: In just its second home match in nearly a month, the VCU Men's Tennis squad dominated the Spartans of Michigan State, 5-0, to kick off a busy weekend for the Black & Gold. Juniors Alejandro Argente (pictured, main) and Alexis Heugas (pictured, top right) earn victories on both the singles and doubles court to lead the Black & Gold to its seventh win of the spring season.
How It Happened
- Argente and senior Jaime Vazquez, the 38th-ranked doubles duo in the country, started things with an 8-6 win at the third spot in VCU's doubles lineup. Heugas and freshman Dylan McCloskey, the country's 37th-ranked doubles duo, followed right behind with an 8-6 victory of their own to secure the doubles point for the Black & Gold.
- On the singles court, Argente made it a quick 2-0 lead for the Rams with a dominating 6-1, 6-1 victory over Michigan State's John Mullane at the fourth spot in VCU's singles lineup.
- Senior Max Wennakoski, the 14th-ranked singles player in the country, increased the Rams' lead to 3-0 with an easy 6-3, 6-0 victory over Drew Lied at the second spot.
- Sophomore Claes Goransson (pictured, bottom right) clinched the win for the Black & Gold with a 6-2, 6-4 at the third spot in the lineup.
- Heugas wrapped up the day's action with a hard-fought #97 Aaron Pfister at the top singles spot, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
VCU 5, Michigan State 0
1) Alexis Heugas/Dylan McCloskey (VCU) def. Aaron Pfister/Drew Lied (MSU), 8-6
2) Harry Jadun/Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Max Wennakoski/Michal Voscek (VCU), 9-7
3) Jaime Vazquez/Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. John Mullane/Dennis Bogatov (MSU), 8-6
1) Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. Aaron Pfister, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
2) Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. Drew Lied, 6-3, 6-0
3) Claes Goransson (VCU) def. Gijs Linders, 6-2, 6-4
4) Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. John Mullane, 6-1, 6-1
5) Michal Voscek (VCU) vs. Dennis Bogatov, 6-2 DNF
6) Jaime Vazquez (VCU) vs. Will Davis, 6-4 DNF