- Score: Drake 4, VCU 3
- Records: VCU (6-2), Drake (7-1)
- Location: Nebraska Tennis Center (Lincoln, Neb.)
- The Short Story: Seniors Max Wennakoski and Jamie Vazquez picked up singles victories, but the VCU men's tennis team dropped a tough 4-3 neutral site decision to a very talented Drake squad. The Bulldogs ran out to a 3-1 lead early, but after the veterans picked up singles win, it was down to a three-set fight at the second singles spot, which Drake's James McKie ended up winning to secure the win.
How It Happened
- Vazquez teamed with junior Alejandro Argente to pick up a win at the third doubles spot, but it wasn't enough as Drake won the other two doubles matches to pick up a 1-0 lead.
- Freshman Michal Voscek won by result of Drake's Jean Erasmus retiring, but the Bulldogs won two other singles matches to grab a 3-1 cushion.
- Wennakoski dropped 35th-ranked Anis Ghorbel in convincing fashion, 6-4, 6-1, to make it 3-2, followed by Vazquez who won 6-4, 6-3 over #109 Ben Mullis to even the match at 3-3.
- Junior Alexis Heugas would battle McKie to the end, but eventually ran out of gas and dropped a 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (0) decision at the second singles spot, which gave the victory to Drake.
Drake 4, VCU 3
1) #16 Ghorbel/McKie (DU) def. Goransson/Heugas (VCU), 8-3
2) Goodman/Salibasic (DU) def. Voscek/Wennakoski (VCU), 8-5
3) #36 Argente/Vazquez (VCU) def. Erasmus/Mullis (DU), 8-4
1) #45 Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. #35 Anis Ghorbel (DU), 6-4, 6-1
2) #68 James McKie (DU) def. #67 Alexis Heugas (VCU), 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (0)
3) Robin Goodman (DU) def. Alejandro Argente (VCU), 6-2, 6-1
4) #86 Alen Salibasic (DU) def. Claes Goransson (VCU), 6-4, 6-1
5) Michal Voscek (VCU) def. Jean Erasmus (DU), 5-5, ret.
6) #113 Jamie Vazquez (VCU) def. #109 Ben Mullis, 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish:
Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,4,3,1,6,2)