EVENT: UVA Ranked (Charlottesville, Va.)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After dropping his first match, senior Jaime Vazquez reeled off three victories in a row on the way to the consolation championship. Vazquez defeated Virginia's Jonny Cornish, Mississippi's Jonas Backstrom, and Middle Tennessee State's Ben Davis.
- Freshman Michael Voscek won two matches over the weekend. He defeated Luiz Elizando of Louisville and David Hopkins of Wake Forest.
- Senior Alexis Heugas picked up a fifth place finish in the event. Huegas went 3-1 over the weekend, picking up wins over UNC Wilmington's Pedro Mol, Virginia's Thomas Palnet and NC State's Thomas Wiegel.
- Newcomer and freshman Claes Gorensson had two wins over the weekend. The Hollviken, Sweden native picked up wins over Stuart Depaolo of North Carolina and Adam Lee of Wake Forest.
- On the doubles side, all three doubles teams picked up victories on the weekend.
L, Francisco Dias, George Washington (6-3, 6-2)
W, Jonny Cornish, Virginia (1-6, 7-5, 6-3)
W, Jonas Backstrom, Ole Miss (6-3, 3-6, 6-1)
W, Ben Davis, Middle Tennessee State (6-3, 5-1, retired inj)
L, Chris Cooprider, UNC Wilmington (6-2, 6-2)
W, Luiz Elizando, Louisville (2-6, 7-5, 6-3)
W, David Hopkins, Wake Forest (6-4, 6-0)
L, Amerigo Contini, Virginia Tech
W, Michael Lippens, Louisville (6-3, 4-6, 6-2)
L, Mac Styslinger, Virginia (3-6, 6-4, 6-1)
W, Jared Hiltzik, Illinois (7-6, 6-4)
L, Jonas Lutjen Mississippi (7-6, 6-4)
W, Pedro Mol, UNC Wilmington (6-2, 4-6, 6-1)
L, Nikita Formin, George Washington (6-1, 7-6 (5))
W, Mitchell Palnet, Virginia (6-3, 6-4)
W, Thomas Weigel, NC State (7-5, 6-1)
W, Stuart Depaolo, North Carolina (7-6, 6-4)
W, Adam Lee, Wake Forest (6-3, 6-7, 7-5)
L, Albert Wanger, Louisville (6-1, 6-2)
W, Ben Davis, Middle Tennessee State (4-6, 6-3, 6-2)
L, Bruno Abdelnour, Illinois (4-6, 6-3, 6-2)
L, Joe Salisbury, Memphis (4-6, 6-3, 6-3)
L, Johnny Grimal, Memphis (6-2, 6-1)
W, Ben Davis/Chrstoph Lang, Middle Tennessee State (8-3)
L, Kosta Blank/Chris Cooprider, UNC Wilmington (9-8 (5))
L, Sebastian Stifelmeyer/Austin Siegel, Louisville (8-5)
L, Danil Zelenkov/Nikita Formin, George Washington (9-7)
W, Julian Childers/Jared Hiltrzik, Illinois (8-6)
W, Cedric DeZutter/Johnny Grimal, Memphis (8-6)
L, Justin Shane/Julen Uriguen, Virginia (8-4)
L, William Kallberg/Adrian Forberg Skogeng, Mississippi (8-5)
The Rams will head to Tulsa, Okla. to compete in the All-American tournament Sept. 29-30.