CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Any time the head coach of one of the top teams in the country throws all sorts of compliments your way, you know you have some talented student-athletes.
That's exactly what happened for the VCU men's tennis team after a tough 4-0 loss to second-ranked Virginia in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament. The Rams close the season with a 23-5 mark, the most wins for the program since 2006.
"I was very impressed by VCU, they have an excellent team," Virginia Head Coach Brian Boland said. "They can compete with any team in the top 15 or 20. They don't get as many chances as we do, but they can play with anyone. We knew it was going to take a strong performance for us to get past them."
That's exactly what the Cavaliers were able to do with two quick wins in doubles play to grab the doubles point and an early 1-0 advantage.
Their momentum continued into singles play with fourth-ranked Jarmere Jenkins getting by Alexis Heugas, 6-0, 6-0 and Drew Courtney bringing UVA within one point of the win with a 6-3, 6-2 defeat of Antoine Baroz.
Julen Urigen was able to deliver the clinching point as he got by red-hot junior Jaime Vazquez, 6-2, 6-2. Vazquez had won his previous 10 matches entering Sunday.
Heugas and Baroz aren't done yet as they earned the CAA's automatic doubles bid to the NCAA Doubles Tournament in two weeks.
The Rams will be loaded for another run next year as they lose only one senior off this year's squad with the graduation of Filip Svensson.
#2 VIRGINIA 4, #32 VCU 0
1. #5 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) led #63 Heugas/Baroz (VCU) 7-5 DNF
2. Shane/Uriguen (UVa) def. Wennakoski/Svensson (VCU) 8-6
3. Domijan/Frank (UVa) def. Argente/Vazquez (VCU) 8-5
1. #4 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #89 Alexis Heugas (VCU) 6-0, 6-0
2. #39 Alex Domijan (UVa) led Max Wennakoski (VCU) 6-4, 3-2 DNF
3. #2 Mitchell Frank (UVa) led Filip Svensson (VCU) 6-2, 4-2 DNF
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Antoine Baroz (VCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. #82 Justin Shane (UVa) led Alejandro Argente (VCU) 6-2, 3-2 DNF
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Jamie Vazquez (VCU) 6-2, 6-2