RICHMOND, Va.—While snow and ice still lingered all around VCU's campus, the Rams set the tennis courts on fire when they took down the Ragin' Cajuns of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Monday afternoon. The Rams won 5-2, an effort led by sophomore Alejandro Argente and junior Jaime Vazquez.
Argente and Vazquez started the day off right, winning big in doubles action for VCU. Once singles action began, each member of the duo picked up victories in their singles match-ups. Both players won their singles matches in straight sets.
The Rams won the day, 5-2, behind strong singles matches by the rest of the team. Junior Camill Salomon and sophomores Alexis Heugas & Antoine Baroz took down the Ragin' Cajuns they faced in singles play.
VCU improves to 10-2 on the season. They next face Nebraska at home on Feb. 25, with play set to begin at 11 a.m.
VCU 5, Louisiana-Lafayette 2
- Rick DeGroot/Carlin Murray (LL) def. Antoine Baroz/Alexis Heugas (VCU), 9-7
- Yanick Mandl/Brandon Farine (LL) def. Filip Svensson/Max Wennakoski (VCU), 8-3
- Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez (VCU) def. Damian Farinola/Carl Alberton (LL), 8-2
- Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. Rick DeGroot (LL) 6-3, 6-3
- Carlin Murray (LL) def. Filip Svensson (VCU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
- Antoine Baroz (VCU) def. Yanick Mandl (LL) 6-4, 6-7, 6-2
- Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Damian Farinola (LL) 6-4, 6-3
- Jaime Vazquez (VCU) def. Jarred Wynan (LL) 6-2, 6-3
- Camill Salomon (VCU) def. Carl Alberton (LL) 6-3, 7-6(1)