RAMS FALL 4-0 TO 16TH-RANKED BLUE DEVILS IN FIRST ROUND OF NCAA TOURNAMENT
DURHAM, N.C. – For the second time this season, he Virginia Commonwealth University men's tennis team learned just how good 16th-ranked Duke can be. This time around it was in the first round of the NCAA Tournament as the Blue Devils ended the Rams season.
"Duke was a tough draw for us and we knew it wasn't going to be easy," Head Coach Paul Kostin said. "Thibaut [Charron] is the guy that we can revolve around and their number one guy is obviously very good, so that made it really tough for us. We're a very young team, so hopefully we can learn from this and get back here next year."
The Black & Gold made the Blue Devils work from the start, making all three doubles matches close but eventually Duke would pick up wins at the first and third position to claim a 1-0 lead.
Henrique Cunha, the second-ranked player in the country, kept the momentum on Duke's side with a straight set win over senior Thibaut Charron (Sens, France). Victories at the second and fourth spots would secure the win for the Blue Devils.
Although the season is over for the team, Charron will now move on to the NCAA Individual Tournament, which begins on Wednesday, May 26th in Athens, Ga.
#16 Duke 5, #72 Virginia Commonwealth 0
1. #1 Reid Carleton/Henrique Cunha (DU) def. Thibaut Charron/Camill Saloman (VCU) 8-4
2. Dylan Arnould/David Holland (DU) vs. Tim Johannsen/Krisztian Krocsko (VCU) 7-6, unfinished
3. Alain Michel/Torsten Wietoska (DU) def. Filip Svensson/Max Wennakoski (VCU) 8-5
1. #2 Henrique Cunha (DU) def. #25 Thibaut Charron (VCU) 6-0, 6-1
2. #64 Reid Carleton (DU) def. Tim Johannsen (VCU) 6-2, 6-0
3. #101 Dylan Arnould (DU) vs. Krisztian Krocsko (VCU) no result
4. Torsten Wietoska (DU) def. Max Wennakoski (VCU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Camill Saloman (VCU) vs. Jared Pinsky (DU) no result
6. Filip Svensson (VCU) vs. Luke Marchese (DU) no result
Virginia Commonwealth 14-12; National ranking #72
Duke 19-8; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,1,4)