CHARRON SHINES, BUT RAMS FALL TO TOP-RANKED VIRGINIA
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Prior to the
start of the 2010 spring season, Head Coach Paul
Kostin made the comment that his top singles player,
senior Thibaut Charron (Sens, France), had the
talent to beat just about anyone in the country.
On Wednesday afternoon, Charron proved Kostin's statement true by topping the third-ranked singles player in the country, Sanam Singh, 7-6 (6), 6-4.
Unfortunately for the Virginia Commonwealth University men's tennis team, Charron was the lone bright spot as the Rams fell to top-ranked Virginia, 6-1.
Playing a man down due to a minor setback to #2 singles player Krisztian Krocsko (Budapest, Hungary), the Black & Gold could never get anything roll against the unbeaten Cavaliers, dropping all but one of the singles matches in straight sets.
The Rams return home to Thalhimer Tennis Center this weekend for rematch of last year's CAA Championship when the Seahawks of UNC Wilmington come to town. First serve is set for 11 a.m. on Saturday.
#1 Virginia 6, #73 VCU 1
1. #55 Thibaut Charron (VCU) def. #3 Sanam Singh (UVa) 7-6(6), 6-4
2. #4 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Tim Johannsen (VCU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #53 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Max Wennakoski (VCU) 6-3, 6-2
4. #33 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Camill Salomon (VCU) 6-1, 6-3
5. #68 Lee Singer (UVa) def. Filip Svensson (VCU) 6-4, 6-0
6. #87 Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Oscar Perman (VCU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3,6,4,5,2,1
1. #17 ShabazCourtney (UVa) def. Charron/Johannsen (VCU) 8-5
2. #41 Jenkins/Singer (UVa) def. Perman/Salomon (VCU) 8-7 (3)
3. #19 Barrick/Singh (UVa) def. Svensson/Wennakoski (VCU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,1,2