RICHMOND, Va. – There is an excess of
snow shovels around the campus of Virginia Commonwealth University
after two very unusual weeks of wintery precipitation in the Metro
The Rams men's tennis teams needed brooms on Friday afternoon at Thalhimer Tennis Center, where they swept their way past the Owls of Temple University in a 7-0 victory.
"It was good to get our guys back out on the courts against solid competition," Head Coach Paul Kostin said. "We're still a very young team, so we still have a lot of room to grow and get better."
Veterans Thibaut Charron (Sens, France) and Tim Johannsen (Hohenlockstedt, Germany) got things started with a 8-4 win at first doubles. The freshmen duo of Krisztin Krocsko (Budapest, Hungary) and Camil Salomon (Limoges, France) then locked down the doubles points with an 8-3 win.
All four players picked up straight set wins, along with sophomore Filip Svensson (Angelholm, Sweden) and freshman Max Wennakoski (Helsinski, Finland), who had straight set wins at #4 and #5 singles.
Johannsen, Svennson and Salomon all remained undefeated in dual matches this spring.
The Rams return to the courts on Sunday morning in an 11 a.m. match-up against the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest.
VCU 7, Temple 0
1. Thibaut Charron def. Filip Rams (TU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Krisztin Krocsko def. Stekolshikov (TU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Tim Johannsen def. Dmitry Vizhunov (TU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Filip Svensson def. Mansur Gishkaev (TU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Max Wennakoski def. Kacper Rams (TU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Camill Salomon def. Andrey Morozov (TU), 6-2, 6-4
1. Charron/Johannsen def. Rams/Rams (TU), 8-4
2. Krocsko/Salomon def. King-Morozov (TU), 8-3
3. Gishkaev/Vizhunov def. Svensson/Williams, 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,5,4,1,3,6)