RAMS FALL TO #17 OKLAHOMA, 4-1, AT BLUE/GRAY CLASSIC
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The Virginia
Commonwealth University men's tennis team dropped a 4-1
decision to the 17th-ranked Sooners of the University of Oklahoma
in the quarterfinals of the Blue/Gray Classic.
With doubles tied at one match a piece, the freshmen duo of Krisztian Krocsko (Budapest, Hungary) and Camill Salomon (Limoges, France) battled David Pultr and Ionut Beleleu at #2, but eventually fell 9-7 to give the Sooners a 1-0 lead heading into the singles matches.
Oklahoma won at #2 to increase their lead to 2-0, but senior Thibaut Charron (Sens, France) continued his phenomenal senior season by dispatching 20th-ranked Andrei Daescu, 6-1, 6-3 to get VCU on the board.
Unfortunately that's all the Rams could get as the Sooner won at #6 and #5 to secure a spot in the semifinals of the prestigious tournament.
The Black & Gold will wrap up its stay at the Classic with an 8:30 a.m. showdown with the Hurricane of the University of Tulsa.
#17 Oklahoma 4, VCU 1
1. #52 Charron def. #20 Andrei Daescu (OU), 6-1, 6-3
2. #83 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Krocsko, 6-0, 6-2
3. Johanssen v. #70 Costin Paval (OU), 7-5, 0-2, DNF
4. Wennakoski vs. David Pultr (OU), 4-6, 6-6, DNF
5. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Salomon, 7-5, 6-3
6. George Chanturia (OU) def. Svensson, 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,1,6,5
1. #71 Daesu/Paval def. Charron/Johanssen, 8-1
2. Pultr/Beleleu def. Krocsko/Salomon, 9-7
3. Wennakoski/Svennson def. Formentera/Boswell, 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,3,2