RICHMOND, Va. – For the second time
in four days, the Virginia Commonwealth University men's
tennis team found themselves in a battle on the tennis courts, and
for the second time the Rams came up on the short end. This time,
the Black & Gold fell, 4-3 to Colonial Athletic Association
rival, William & Mary.
It was the second straight 4-3 loss for the Rams as VCU falls to 6-3 on the 2010 campaign.
After dropping the doubles point to the Tribe, senior Thibaut Charron (Sens, France) led a Black & Gold rally that saw VCU win three of the first five singles matches to even the tally at 3-3.
Charron started the rally with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Keziel Juneau at #1 singles. Sophomore Filip Svensson (Angelholm, Sweden) kept it going with a come-from-behind, 2-6, 6-1, 7-5 win over Richard Wardell at #4 singles and freshman Max Wennakoski (Helsinski, Finland) wrapped up the rally with a straight set, 6-4, 6-2 win over Anton Andersson at #5 singles.
Freshman Oscar Perman (Lund, Sweden) then locked horns with Iljia Orre at #6 singles in a classic, but Orre would come out on top, 7-5, 7-6 (6) to give the Tribe the 4-3 win.
The Rams return to the courts on Sunday morning, when they host #22 Duke in a 10 a.m. showdown.
William & Mary 4, VCU 3
1. Thibaut Charron def. Keziel Juneau, 6-2, 6-3
2. Sebastien Vidal def. Krisztian Krocsko, 7-6 (4), 6-3
3. Jamie Whiteford def. Tim Johannsen, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Filip Svensson def. Richard Wardell, 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
5. Max Wennakoski def. Anton Andersson, 6-4, 6-2
6. Ilja Orre def. Oscar Perman, 7-5, 7-6 (6)
1. Vidal/Juneau def. Charron/Johannsen, 8-6
2. Whiteheader/Anderson def. Saloman/Wennakoski, 8-0
3. Orre-Mihalov vs. Krocsko/Svensson, 4-4 DNF
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,2,4,3,5,6)