Final Score: VCU 2, St. Bonaventure 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers)
Records: VCU (10-5-1) A-10 (6-1-1), St. Bonaventure (7-9-1) A-10 (3-5-0)
The Short Story: VCU earned the A-10 Regular Season Title and locked up the No. 1 seed in the A-10 Tournament after defeating St. Bonaventure, powered by Peter Pearson's two goals.
- Senior midfielder Peter Pearson scored two goals, including the game winning goal, off of four total shots.
- Junior midfielder Siad Haji, junior defender Ryo Shimazaki and senior midfielder Eli Lockaby recorded one assist apiece.
- Sophomore keeper Mario Sequeira logged three saves.
- VCU held a 18-9 edge in shots and a 6-4 edge in shots on goal.
- Nine different Rams took a shot attempt in the match.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Pearson scored the first goal of the match for VCU in the 54th minute when Lockaby sent in a cross from the left side of the 18-yard box, where it found Haji, who tapped it back to Pearson and found the back of the net.
- In the 73rd minute, Pearson scored his second goal of the match to gain a lead of 2-1 off of a rebounded shot by Ryo Shimazaki.
- St. Bonaventure's Nicola Bonso scored the match's first goal in the 24th minute on a rebounded shot after Ethan Yeung's header was saved and deflected by Sequeira.
- VCU posed a few threats early in the match as Peter Pearson and Eli Lockaby both took shots towards goal but missed just high.
- In the 22nd minute and just a few seconds apart, Joseph Gonnella and Jared Greene forced St. Bonaventure's keeper to make two saves that kept VCU from gaining a 1-0 lead.
HEAD COACH DAVID GIFFARD
"I'm so happy for the guys and proud of them tonight. They found a way to grind out a win in one of the craziest college games I have ever been a part of. Two big time goals from Peter and a great effort from everyone else. It was a fitting way to finally capture that elusive conference title. So we check that box and now prepare for the start of the post season on Sunday."
VCU returns home for the A-10 Tournament Quarterfinals match as the No. 1 seed and is set to face off against No. 8 Massachusetts on Sunday, Nov. 4, at 2 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium.