Final Score: VCU 4, St. Bonaventure 1
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 11-5-0 (6-2-0 A-10), St. Bonaventure 8-9-2 (4-4-0 A-10)
The Short Story: The St. Bonaventure Bonnies got the best of the VCU Rams last Wednesday night, taking the Rams down with a 2-1 final score at their place. With a season at stake in the Atlantic 10 Quarterfinals Sunday night, the Rams wouldn't let that happen again as Rafael Andrade Santos tallied two goals and an assist in a VCU 4-1 defeat of the Bonnies.
- Santos connected for his 10th and 11th goals of the season. Adding in the assist, Santos now has 27 points on the season putting him atop the Rams team leaderboard and tied for the A-10 lead in the category. His 11 goals also puts him alone in first place in that category.
- Siad Haji scored his first goal of the season, which is also his first as a member of the VCU Rams.
- Luc Fatton also added a goal, while Francesco Amorosino added an assist on the game. Amorosino now has 18 points on the season with eight goals and two assists, with Fatton sitting at 16 with eight goals.
- Goalkeeper Mario Sequeira made two saves on the night, both coming in the second half in earning his 11th win of the season.
- The Rams outshot the Bonnies 23-8 on the game, putting 11 on net.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams would hold control on offense early, taking six unanswered shots in the first 15 minutes of play before the Bonnies answered with a shot wide in the 16th minute.
- VCU would get on the board in the 27th minute, as Haji ran a shake-n-bake up the right side and got loose inside the 18. He would rip a shot that Bonaventure goalkeeper Luke Iacobellis would get a hand on, but would slide in for a 1-0 Rams lead.
- With a 1-0 lead after the first half, VCU would commit a foul in the box in the 58th minute, leading to a St. Bonaventure penalty kick. However, Kieran Toland missed it wide, keeping the Rams ahead 1-0.
- However, not long after did Bonaventure put a goal on the board to even the score at 1-1 in the 64th minute. Jacob Dyke would slip one past Sequeira for his second goal of the season.
- The tie was short lived for the Bonnies, as Santos put the Rams back ahead in the 66th minute with a snipe off a free kick just outside the 18. That would give the Rams a 2-1 lead.
- VCU wasn't done, as Fatton would join the party in the 72nd minute, adding more cushion on a goal just outside the six-yard box for a 3-1 lead.
- Santos would add the cherry on top with his second goal of the game in the 82nd minute, as he danced through multiple defenders and finished from 12 yards far right post for a 4-1 VCU lead.
VCU returns to the pitch Friday, November 10 as they head to Dayton, Ohio for the A-10 Semifinals. They will face #6 seed Rhode Island after they #3 seed George Washington. Kickoff for Friday night's showdown in Dayton is 7 pm. VCU defeated Rhode Island just mere games ago on October 28 in a 2-1 game.