Final Score: George Washington 2, VCU 1
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 6-4-0 (3-1-0 A-10), George Washington 6-6-2 (3-2-0 A-10)
The Short Story: Dominating possession and shots didn't create the result the VCU Rams were looking for Saturday night, as they were defeated by the George Washington Colonials by a final score of 2-1.
- VCU outshot the Colonials 26-5 overall in the game, with a 17-1 advantage in the category in the second half.
- Francesco Amorosino notched his fourth goal of the season.
- The Rams allowed only one corner kick in the match, while they had 10 opportunities in the 90 minutes.
- Mario Sequeira would make one save on the night in the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU had the first three shots of the game before George Washington got in the shot column in the 9th minute. Francesco Amorosino, Peter Pearson, and Rafael Andrade Santos each had attempts to score in the first 10 minutes of play.
- George Washington got on the board first in the 22nd minute, as Oliver Curry scored off a free kick from about 35 yards out. The ball would bounce inside the 18 and skip inside the far post for Curry's first goal of the season.
- After the first 45 minutes of play, the Colonials maintained the 1-0 lead.
- The start of the second half brought more fire power from the Rams, as they peppered opportunities at GW goalkeeper Thor Arne Hofs.
- With VCU having 10 unanswered shots until George Washington put one shot on, that one shot would be costly as it found the back of the net. Dylan Lightbourn would put on in the net for a 2-0 Colonials lead in the 79th minute.
- Just four minutes later, VCU would cut the lead back to one as Amorosino finished a goal from eight yards out on a long service from Lyndsey Moreland. That would put the score to 2-1.
- The Rams would push hard late, as they put up four shots in the final eight minutes, with multiple other opportunities that were dangerous for George Washington. However the Rams couldn't find the back of the net, as GW took the 2-1 win after 90 minutes.
VCU returns to the pitch this upcoming Wednesday, October 18 as the Black & Gold hit the road to Fairfax to take on the George Mason Patriots. Opening kickoff for the matchup is slated for 7 p.m.