Final Score: Oakland 3, VCU 2
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 0-1-0, Oakland 1-0-0
The Short Story: After two first half goals by VCU, the Oakland Golden Grizzlies scored three unanswered goals spurned by a penalty kick to defeat the VCU Rams by a final score of 3-2. Francesco Amorosino and Rafael Andrade Santos each tallied for the Black and Gold.
- Both goals for Amorosino and Santos were their first of the season, and are now tied for the team lead in points.
- Each team finished the game with a total of nine shots. However, Oakland had six on net while VCU had three.
- Pierre Gardan made three saves on those six shots as net.
- VCU led the way with four corner opportunities to Oakland's one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amorosino got things started quick and early for the Rams, as he scored the first goal just two minutes into the game off a pass from Eli Lockaby. That gave VCU the 1-0 lead.
- VCU scored again in the 24th minute, as Forita Munts made a stong run toward the top of the 18. He got taken down just outside, which gave a free kick just outside the 18.
- Santos then scored off the free kick, giving VCU the 2-0 lead early on.
- Oakland srated heating up, ripping off three straight shots in a minute span in the 32nd minute, with goalie Pierre Gardan making two saves.
- However, in the 34th minute, Oakland would be awarded a penalty kick, and convert to make the score 2-1.
- The match would stay 2-1 through the half, as play was mostly in the middle of the field for the first 20 minutes of the half.
- The Golden Grizzlies got an equalizer in the 66th minute, as Keenan King scored his first goal of the season on a left footed bender from outside the 18-yard box.
- Just three minutes later, Oakland got their game winning goal in the 69th minute. Nebojsa Popovic would score to give the Golden Grizzlies a 3-2 lead that they would maintain through the 90th minute for the win.
VCU returns to the pitch this Sunday evening, as the Rams will face Appalachian State at 7 p.m. under the lights at Sports Backers Stadium.