Final Score: VCU 2, UMass 1 (OT)
Location: Alumni Soccer Stadium (Davidson, N.C.)
Records: VCU 7-9-3 (4-3-1), Massachusetts 7-9-3 (4-2-2) 

The Short Story: It would be a hard fought, frustrating 89 minutes of play for the VCU Rams in their matchup against the UMass Minutemen in their Atlantic 10 Conference Quarterfinal matchup. However, with 25 seconds remaining in regulation, Brandon Eaton would snag an equalizing goal sending the game to overtime. The whole game would shift to the Black and Gold after Jorge Herranz grabbed a spectacular overtime goal to send VCU to the semifinals with a stunning 2-1 victory.



  • The Rams outshot the Minutemen by a 19-3 margin, holding UMass to zero shots in the second half and the overtime period.
  • Eaton's goal would be his second of the season, and second in as many games.
  • Herranz would score his sixth goal of the year, and trails only Luc Fatton (7) in that category on the team.


  • Things started slow for both sides, as it wasn't until the 13th minute that Luc Fatton got a shot off, which would be the first action for either side. 
  • Rafael Andrade Santos would offer up a bending missile toward the net in the 18th minute, but would be saved by UMass goalie Jorge Becerra, keeping the score 0-0.
  • UMass would open the door in the 20th minute, as after they got a solid shot from Mark Dunphy that hit the post just seconds earlier, Alex DeSantis collected his first goal of the season off a redirect, putting the Minutemen up 1-0.
  • Over the last five minutes of the first half, the Rams peppered the net on the offensive end, finishing with a total of 12 shots in the first half, but trailed 1-0 after the first 45 minutes of play.
  • As the second half started, the Rams left off right where they started in the offensive end. Within a 10-minute span, Jason McGlothern, Herranz, and Fatton would all get solid looks at the goal but with no breakthrough.
  • The Rams would make a slew of substitutions in the 86th minute, which became big in the box score. Brandon Eaton would come on in favor of Francesco Amorosino as one of VCU's three subs.
  • As Herranz lifted a corner kick with just 25 seconds to play, the ball would bounce around, making its way against Fatton and Barnathan, and finally getting put into the back of the net by Eaton for his second goal of the season. The score would tie up at 1-1, sending the game into overtime.
  • With just over a minute to play in the first overtime period, Herranz would end things as a nice run from Fatton led to a nice save by Becerra. However, the ball would bounce straight back to Herranz, who lifted a shot from about 30 yards out and would get back over the retreating Becerra for the game-winning goal.



VCU sees another day tomorrow, November 11, when they square off in the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship against the eighth-seeded Dayton Flyers. Kick-off is scheduled for 5 p.m.



"First off, all credit to UMASS who are one of the most well coached teams we have seen. They played their hearts out and fought for 99 minutes.

I'm Extremely proud of the boys. Sometimes soccer can be a cruel game. The first 89 minutes was a snap shot of our season up until this point. It was one-way traffic creating one opportunity after another and the other team battling and holding on without us breaking through. I was proud of the boys for continuing to battle and create chance after chance and finally we got the first one and then there was never a doubt we would get the 2nd. We've said it all year, just keep creating one chance after another and the goals will come. Today they did and we got contributions from a ton of people. That's what we will need to have a chance to do it again tomorrow against an excellent Dayton team." – Coach David Giffard