Final Score: VCU 1, La Salle 0
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 4-5-3 (2-0-1), La Salle 6-6-0 (1-2-0)
The Short Story: The pair of Luc Fatton and Jorge Herranz kept up their scoring ways on Wednesday night, as the VCU Rams returned to the pitch at Sports Backers Stadium for their third conference matchup of the season. It would be the recording a goal apiece as the Rams defeated the La Salle Explorers by a score of 2-0.
- Jorge Herranz scored his fourth goal of the season, and now leads the team in points with 14. He also now has sole possession of second on the goals scored list, and had at least one point in each of the team's last three games.
- Keeping pace and leading the team in goals with five is Luc Fatton, who tallied his fifth of the season. The Redshirt Junior is also second on the team in points behind Herranz.
- Goalkeeper Pierre Gardan recorded his third shutout in the Rams last four matches, grabbing his fourth win of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got things started in the 6th minute, as their first opportunity of the night came on a header from Dakota Barnathan that would be saved by La Salle goalkeeper Mike Kirk.
- Both teams had solid opportunities with corner kicks in the first half, as VCU just edged La Salle 5-4 in that department in the first 45. However, nothing came of it, and a majority of possession hung in the balance at midfield. After the first half, the score remained tied 0-0.
- Jorge Herranz would break the ice in the 55th minute, as a give-n-go with Rafael Andrade Santos worked to perfection. The Madrid, Spain native would snipe the inside of the left post for his fourth goal of the season, putting VCU up 1-0.
- In the 63rd minute, it looked as if the Rams might extend their lead, as a shot from the top of the 18 from Brandon Eaton seemed destined for the back of the net. However, a deflection caused the ball to sail high and out of bounds.
- In the 75th minute, Fatton would find a nice seam into the 18 from a pass from Eli Lockaby that threaded a needle through the defense. Fatton would finish it off far post from eight yards out to give the Rams a 2-0 lead.
- VCU would push to add a third goal to their total for the night, as both Fatton and Santos ech had solid tries at the net in the 85th and 87th minutes. However, each sailed high of the crossbar to keep the Black and Gold at bay.
VCU returns to the pitch this Saturday, October 15 when they hit the road for Pittsburgh to take on the Duquesne Dukes. Kickoff is set for a 1 p.m. start time.