- Score: VCU 3, Farleigh Dickinson 0
- Records: VCU (1-0-0), FDU (0-1-0)
- Location: VCU's Sports Backers Stadium inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village
- The Short Story: Senior Jose Manel started off the scoring with a goal in the seventh minute, and fellow seniors Kharlton Belmar and Mario Herrera Meraz tacked on goals of their own in the second half to give the VCU men's soccer team a 3-0 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson in their first regular season game.
How it Happened:
- Manel took a pass from Herrera Meraz and showed his patience, waiting for the goalie to go down before putting it into the net to put VCU up 1-0 just seven minutes into the game.
- FDU's Nico Wright had a chance to tie it up with a penalty kick late in the first half, but booted it over the cross bar.
- Just four minutes into the second half, Belmar found himself all alone after an excellent clearance by a fellow defender and rocketed a shot past goalkeeper Aleksander Djekic to put his team up 2-0.
- The goal of the night came from the foot of Herrera Meraz. In the 70th minute. A throw in from the Knights found the head of junior Devon Fisher, who passed it on to Herrera Meraz. He then struck a beautiful shot from nearly forty yards out that whizzed up and over Djekic, sending the crowd into a frenzy.
- The Rams will take on the Buccaneers of East Tennessee State on Sunday at 3:30 pm at Sports Backers Stadium, directly after the VCU women's squad faces off against Clemson at 1 pm.